Laptop Acer ES 15 faulty?

I have an Acer ES 15 laptop which I don’t use much and today it wouldn’t turn on, the blue light came on and nothing else.
I typed the issue into google and noticed it seems the issue seems to be a hot topic amongst owners of this model. It said press the battery reset on the bottom but that didn’t work. As it is Sunday not much I can do unfortunately.
Has anyone else had same issue and been able to fix?
I pulled out the receipt and it is 4 months passed the 1 year warranty period.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @Andy78,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Although this is not a technical forum some of us can often provide help. It seems you have done the simple things, but if you are able to do these steps, this link takes it to another level and might resolve your problem or lead to the conclusion your ES 15 is dead.

Removing the battery and power, not just pressing a reset allows all of the circuitry to discharge so you probably have not done that yet. If it is not clear in the link, do another hard reset per your owners manual instructions, then remove the battery and A/C, wait a few minutes just because, hold the power button down for 20-30 seconds (nothing should happen except it will completely drain any residual current in the computer, connect everything up again and see how it goes.

If still no joy the subsequent steps in the link should take you to resolution, for better or worse.

Sometimes a product would still be covered by the Australian Consumer Law. Warranties do not over-ride the ACL. If this is a common and pervasive problem, it is possible you could still claim for repair on the basis that because it is a pervasive problem, you would not have purchased the computer, eg because it is not of acceptable quality if you had known about the pervasive and common problem.

If your attempts to resurrect it do not work, expect a lot of pushback if you try to apply the ACL to get it fixed. You do that through the shop you purchased it from, that will try to fob you off to Acer, but it is the shop’s responsibility to deal with you. You will need lots of evidence in your hand such as statements about quality, reliability from the web sites, ads, and so on, not just your word or internet posts. The internet posts could be evidence about the problem being common and pervasive and address the point about acceptable quality.

Please do let us know how you go.

6 Likes

I think this model has a built in battery. So the battery reset button is a limited option. Hopefully you can hold it depressed for the 4 seconds or longer to be sure.

If you have a laptop repairer nearby that you have a reliable reference for most will for a small fee do an assessment so that you have some idea of the nature of the fault. If it relates to the motherboard internal power supply etc all of these and the firmware should last a reasonable lifetime, well past a 12 month warranty. They are some of the parts not usually easily repairable in a laptop. It may be worth an enquiry if you have difficulty with the business who sold you the laptop and the suggestions from @PhilT do not pursuade the seller it is their problem too!

It may also give you further argument that the goods sold to you should be repaired or replaced.

Hope you get a satisfactory result.

5 Likes

Both @PhilT and @mark_m have provided some good advice.

If you are also a choice member, Choice has

which can also be of assistance.

I believe that a laptop pf a well known brand (ACER) should last a lot longer than 1 year + 4 months and believe that it should be covered by the Australian Consumer Law. I personally would expect a laptop, if looked after, should provide one with a life of at least 4+ years trouble free. This is no different to what other ‘reasonable persons’ like myself would expect:

Choice also has information on ACL rights in addition to the ACCC link provided by @PhilT in the above post. The information can be found here:

Also, the ACCC website has an example complaint letter which is useful as well and can help you make the first step when approaching the retailer/ACER.

The other advice in addition to the above is make sure you document all contacts with the retailer/ACER. Such records may be useful should there be no resolution by ACER/retailer and you decide to take the complaint further (such as your local fair trading office).

If there is a history online of the product being faulty, it is also worth bringing this to the attention of the retailer/ACER as it can support an argument that the product has been designed or manufactured in a way which has lead to the fault. Resolution of such is therefore the responsibility of the retailer/ACER.

6 Likes