Labelling on bathroom products

How irritating is it to read the product labels on shampoo and conditioner containers in the shower? Which is Which? I don’t wear my glasses when I am showering so please produce labels with large enough print to read.

34 Likes

:laughing: I second this one most heartily! :laughing:

8 Likes

The words shampoo and conditioner get smaller every time we make a purchase. I do realise that the conditioner bottle usually has the label on upside-down, but seriously, who wears their glasses in the shower? I can’t see the label enough to work out which way the words are printed on the thing. We get the large sized shampoos and the smaller sized conditioners, just so we can tell what goes on when.

6 Likes

I’ll add a variation. We have a bath lotion that pretends to be posh, and maybe it is, but 95% of the text on the jar is in an italic font that I struggle to read even with my glasses. My partner’s vision is better than mine and she struggles too.

An illegible italic font must surely be a sign of poshness, surely it must :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I don’t use conditioner, but my wife who is short-sighted like me, always buys a different brand conditioner to whatever shampoo she’s using, so that the bottle shape and/or colour is noticeably different.
Definitely agree that many manufacturers should do better with their labelling !

7 Likes

I second @grahroll 's second :grin:

2 Likes

Same here. I am as blind as a bat without my glasses.

3 Likes

Pretty much the same with food labels too nowadays. Whoever designed the things on the company computer in 2 point text obviously doesn’t check to see if things are readable in the hard copies. My boys like flavoured rices. Some brands use 1 and 1/3 cups of water while other brands use 1 and 1/2 cups. Even with my glasses on, I need a very strong magnifying glass to be able to read if it’s meant to be 1/2 or 1/3. There needs to be laws on text sizes with any and all product labels as far as I’m concerned.

9 Likes

Excellent points.Ii thought it was my eyesight, but I don’t know anyone is meant to read the product ingredients on many products.

4 Likes

I’m a bit of a sceptic when it comes to labeling. If the law requires manufacturers to provide information, but does not specify how that information should be provided (i.e. font, size etc.), some will comply by providing the bare minimum and in a format that is almost unintelligible.

5 Likes

Have been totally perplexed why the companies don’t do something about this common problem.

3 Likes

Me too. I’m lucky to see the bottle never mind the text on it!:blush:

4 Likes

I’m with you on the general labeling of jars and bottles.It’s far broader than just the shower … there are lots of containers which have writing that’s too small to read without a scanning electronic microscope! The older sector of society is becoming quite a significant proportion of container readers, and the problems range from mild inconvenience to safety issues (in the case of medicines). Whether manufacturers use tiny print due to space considerations or so that you won’t “read the fine print”, there should be some requirement that all labels be printed in a font that’s readable without resorting to magnification.

6 Likes

Totally agree, but after just having to click “agree to T&C” for the umpteenth time I suspect some products might need “too small” fonts to fit the mandated rubbish on the package. Make the fonts bigger and the size of the packaging would have to go up, and then the environmental impact (manufacturing, transport, and disposal) gets highlighted, until the powers that be give them a bye on font size as long as every container comes with a magnifier :smiley:

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more!!! It is exactly what I have been thinking for several months now…

2 Likes

That’s another idiocy about general labeling and in particular websites. People rarely read the T&C because they failed Law 101 and those who passed know unintelligibility when they see it! There is no point in covering everything with a coating of verbiage that is incomprehensible and pointless. Most sites don’t let you continue until you’ve ticked “yes”, you’ve read and understood everything, which we all do knowing perfectly well that we simply don’t have a clue.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree. It’s interesting that the manufacturers always manage to ensure their name is clearly visible but don’t bother to ensure customers can clearly identify shampoo from conditioner. It’s really annoying. Why can’t they have different coloured lids or something?

2 Likes

In the meantime, you could perhaps make your own large font stickers that say SHAMPOO or CONDITIONER and just slap it on the bottle… hell I’ll print some out with a label printer and send you some if you want. :smiley:

2 Likes

I use a texta to mark a big letter S and a big letter C on the respective bottles. The thing that gets up my nose is that the manufacturers manage to get the product name to stand out.

3 Likes

For years, I have simply put a rubber band round the shampoo bottle, then even with your eyes closed you can feel the difference. Works for me!

4 Likes