Kitchen utensils...............these are a few of my favourite things

A must for every "Kitchen Utensil Tragic " The Rachael Ray Bench Scrape . Mine arrived today (27 Oct ) . Only problem , I ordered a blue handle to match my eyes . :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

While not specifically a utensil, a silicone pastry mat is a must if one does frequent pastry cooking, kneading, making dumpling dough, making gnocchi etc. They can be bought online cheaply and should last a few years if looked after…here is an example…

The measurements on the mats are also useful when topping out a pie or making uniform sized pastries.

They are great as the days of leaving a floury glue on one’s kitchen bench are long gone. They are also somewhat non-stick which makes working on a lot easier than a bench top. They do need to be floured though, like other work surfaces.

6 Likes

Best kitchen thingy I was ever given is a jar key. Indispensable for us oldies who are defeated by the lids that won’t come off. Cheap as chips and safe, I give them to mostly women who live alone and they are astonished at how easy it is to open previously difficult jars.

6 Likes

I agree with the list. However, a pressure cooker really is for the more experienced and adventurous on a continuous short time frame. Moreover, if you accidentally burn the bottom while cooking it’s pretty much useless as everything sticks after that. Personally love my Thermomix and is one of the best items I have ever purchased. I’ve had mine since 2013 and only has had one repair - on warranty.

2 Likes

I have a new favourite in my kitchen. It is the Cuisinart Combi steam/convection oven. It sits proudly on the bench in all of it’s stainless steel loveliness. I use it every day, sometimes multiple times. You can cook everything you can cook in a regular oven but the addition of steam really makes for beautiful roasts, dumplings, grilling and so much more. It toasts, grills, steams, cooks rice beautifully, makes beautiful eggs done any which way, bakes, proves and bakes bread. It also has combination bake/steam; grill/steam and super steam. It even cleans itself. Who could ask for anything more? And all of this for $279 ( bought on Myers on-line store with free delivery). Do yourself a favour and get one. ,

3 Likes