Kitchen utensils...............these are a few of my favourite things

This might be a strange question, but what do you use them for.

If we have, say a sauce bottle which has residues left when it can’t pour anymore, we add a minor amo8nt of water, shake the living daylights out of it, place upside down for a while and then allow what is left to ooze from the container.

For jarred products, a knife or even a clean finger can remove the dregs.

A bit perplexed about why they are needed. Are they for American sized containers?

6 Likes

Each has its unique strength, with the hoe and white one having some overlap for insides of square jars.

The white one beats a knife (or fingers) because the sides are flat and pliable. It gets product off the sides much better and easier than either, but is nothing special for the bottom, product dependent; the flat tip is good for scraping the bottom of a peanut butter jar.

The hoe is good for getting jams and similar from underneath the shoulders of jars where the only other option would typically be a finger.

The double ended one is good for getting product out of tall thin jars when you don’t need more than very few. Capers in tall thin jars are an example.

Not especially.

One could dilute the product, but the product is diluted and thus degraded. The scrapers keep it at ‘full form’ and are not meant to clean jars, but to get out the last bits of product for use.

Sometimes one’s hand and finger won’t fit into the jar and I have yet to find a jar these scrapers won’t get in to.

Once one tries a scraper going back to a finger is generally unsatisfying because a finger will not ‘wipe’ the interior surface as well (think jams and spreads as a good example) and cleaning underneath fingernails can be a bother compared to wiping the scraper.

6 Likes

Thought of getting garlic press as I use garlic a lot in cooking, then saw Marco Pierre White mince garlic on the chopping board.

He saved me getting yet another utensil, I have so many and hardly use any, Purchased Cherry Pitter this year as i made jam.

Planned on making it every year but at $20 of jam per 450g will give it a miss.

7 Likes

https://www.petersofkensington.com.au/Public/Essteele-Per-Vita-Stockpot-24cm-71L.aspx

My new favorite pot… Le Creusset doesn’t like it when I make jam in it and after paying $400+ it has a brown mark that will not come off. The shops told me that next time I make something sugary the bottom might peel off.

So enter https://www.petersofkensington.com.au/Public/Essteele-Per-Vita-Stockpot-24cm-71L.aspx

Made Quinces paste yesterday and it was done in half the time.

6 Likes

Anna that looks like a really good stock pot . Great price too . I have Le Creuset . I purchased it years ago but would not pay over $400+ to replace it as most of their stainless ware is now made in China . It’s great when you get something at a great price and you are getting the results you want . Thanks for the input .

5 Likes

I had a cast iron that was 25 years old, we paid 120 for 26cm. Sadly jam damaged it. So I purchased Le Creauset as I slow cook in it.

Talked to Esstelle people today and they advised that I can slow cook in it.

Quinces paste is suppose to take 3 hrs to get to this stage. yesterday

it took an hour.

Now I replaced old glass pot with their 20cm… It has a copper base. now need to get 14cn as my old glass has a chip in it.

Good quality and cheaper then All Clad :slight_smile:

5 Likes

https://www.wholesalecateringsupplies.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=scraper&page=2&product_id=10677

$2.95

with postage
Flat rate shipping of $12.95 for the first item

not worth it for me… I make everything from scratch these days. Don’t buy jars unless it’s peanut butter or Vegemite .

5 Likes

Anna there is a lot of good cooking pots etc out there at very reasonable prices . I have a Chef Inox stock pot that gets a lot of use and paid only $129 for it . If you shop smart you can really stretch your dollar . Thanks for taking the time to share about your quince paste .

5 Likes

Thank you for the advice. Appreciated.

I find Peters good when it comes to shopping.

6 Likes

Over the years I have purchased some excellent products from Peter’s of Kensington . Great shop and often have exclusive lines of products .

5 Likes

They do!

They do!

When they stop stocking stock I need, I am not happy.

5 Likes

Hi, there utensil users, especially fellow garlic lovers looking for a good garlic press these folk: https://dreamfarm.com/products/
have some interesting and useful products my favourite of which is the Garjet lite - reasonably priced, all plastic, works well and very easy to clean.

2 Likes

We mince as well as press. We typically used minced/roughly chopped cloves where crushed garlic is likely to burn or for slower cooked meals…such as in a wok when added to oil at the commencement of cooking or in slower cooked recipes where the garlic has a chance to sweeten slowing through the cooking process.

We typically use pressed for everything else (making dips, pasta, sauces etc) as we find it is a lot better at extracting the garlic juices to enhance the flavour of the foods it is added to.

5 Likes

I liked their product ideas in many cases.

This next part is not a criticism of your post but is a criticism of how much plastic has become ubiquitous in products.

In that listing so much product had plastic used where some other more “environmentally friendly” material could be used. While no product that requires huge amounts of energy and resources to make is really that friendly some have a better ability to either breakdown in a way that is natural, are at least able to breakdown in a very short time compared to plastic or are more recyclable friendly.

I am not against all use of plastic (though perhaps I should be if I really want to be earth friendly) as in some situations it has a usage that no other material can easily replicate, is that inability to replace plastic even then just a case of “laziness” and not innovating. But this trend to use plastic in so many situations because it is “cheap” to use, easy to mould, can be coloured in a myriad ways, many times it can be lighter than other materials and other characteristics, has become so overwhelming that before anything else may be considered to use for manufacture, plastic is the go to material.

Then when the plastic object breaks (most are impossible to really repair), becomes unused, accidentally disposed of, worn out, the new model comes out, the colour doesn’t suit and so on, it becomes rubbish that cannot be successfully broken down to it’s elements and enters our entire world’s food chain.

How do we change this behaviour and usage. How do we conquer this plastic addiction. How do we turn to more reusable, recyclable, environmentally friendly components and how do we force more consideration of other materials on manufacturers before they really need to use plastic.

8 Likes

To echo Graham’s @grahroll sentiments I’m not against plastic or the use of it . In life we use 1 ) What suits our budget , that differs between individuals 2 ) what we are comfortable using . /

I originally used a Pyrex Glass measuring jug until moving it between the 2 sink basins I hit the swivelling out let and it shattered cutting my hand badly . To cut a long story short purchased a named brand clear platic jug , was great until I dropped it and the handle broke off . Was walking through Harris Scarfe one day saw the stainless steel jug and purchased it . /

Since Then I’ve gradually moved to all stainless for measuring duties . It suits me as it bounces when I drop it :grinning: I buy the stainless steel measures opportunistically so it is not a big outlay at one time . I will keep the Oxo Good Grip measuring cups , bottom left , as with arthritis worsening in my hands I’m looking ahead . Oxo designed them with this purpose in mind ./

To reiterate use what your comfortable with and primarily that which suits your pocket .

7 Likes

Ikea garlic press! Perfect and easy to use

4 Likes

I’m not the cook in our household, but our favourite kitchen tools include:
(1) Baccarat teflon coated saucepans, frying pans etc. The coating is much thicker than in cheaper sorts, and they are SO easy to clean (my speciality). Just wipe them out with paper towel and wash team like a dish. Very expensive but well worth it.
(2) Bamix handheld mixer with interchangeable blades. Also very expensive but very versatile and reliable ( ours is over 20 years old).
(3) Good quality cooking knives; stay sharp longer; quick and easy to sharpen; comfortable to hold.
(4) Swiss Equinox (?) paring knives.
(5) The same type of Japanese cook’s knife as your Santoku. Very effective cutting action; slimness makes easy cutting of thin slices, also stay sharp and easy to sharpen (I think it’s based on the quality of the steel). The handles seem to be made for small Japanese hands. I’d like them to be a bit larger diameter.
(6) An old-fashioned hand-operated egg-beater. I recently converted to a whisk because of the cleaning difficulty.
(7) Silicone egg-ring to stop my egg covering half the frying pan! The problem with the teflon coated ones is separating them from the egg.
(8) Electronic timer, with a signal which cannot be ignored!
(9) Screwed lid remover - indispensable to arthritis sufferers.
(10) Sandwich maker - great for quick Saturday lunches.
(11) Microwave boiled-egg cooker. So quick and easy, but requires experience to get the softness just right.
And hey! I’m not even the cook!

6 Likes

John if your not the cook imagine what the cooks list would be :grinning: Thanks for the input.

4 Likes

Most of what you have there, except the wood turner, I just use a wooden spoon, and my knife is actually a peeling knife which is very sharp, and a lot easier to handle, and a veggy peeler, can’t do without that.

4 Likes

A very sharp knife is a very useful utensil in the kitchen. We sharpen ours regularly with a small stone so that they are razor sharp. Cutting things which are usually thought hard to cut, like very ripe tomatoes, are a breeze and I feel safer with a sharp knife as the pressure required to cut is less reducing the likelihood of slippage.

5 Likes