Kitchen sponge scourers

My problem with the orange bag scourers, is all the cut ends which will break down, putting microplastics down the drain. Plastic scrubbers also. I have gone back to metal scourers, they seem to require less effort for the same result.

While that is true there are myriad products a metal scourer will ruin and a ‘non-scratch’ product of whatever composition is necessary. Even the ‘scratchy’ non-metal scourers can ruin some cooking vessels and especially appliance finishes.

3 Likes

I have been using these scourers for years but in the last few months I agree they fall apart within a couple of days. They were great before

2 Likes

I recently discovered cellulose based sponges with the coarse side created from crushed walnut shells. I have yet to try.

1 Like

I still want to be able to use soap impregnated “Steel wool” scourers on my SS products. I’d never use them on anything else, but they do seem to bring up the saucepans very nicely. Except, of course, the quality is no longer what it was, 40 years ago, and each scourer is only good for one or two uses,

An interesting option.
I’ll use scraps of paperbark shed from the melaleuca trees in the yard for some cleaning up of stuff outside. It’s not the most durable solution, but suffices and does not scratch.

Perhaps a product that uses macadamia husks might provide an even better Aussie based solution. Less carbon miles if the walnut based solution is imported?

Put the used scourer in the compost when done.

Have you tried the stainless steel ones like:

There last a very long time (many months, if not years). We use them and they are great for those kitchen items which can take a good scrub
such as aluminium or stainless steel surfaced pots and pans. They aren’t any good for non-stick or enamel surfaces, unless one wishes to remove the surface coating.

Perhaps the following may give better results than the carbon steel wool pads (they should/would still polish the pots and pans):

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/65415/steelo-scourer-steel-wool-soap-pads-stainless

Of course the impregnated soap will quickly be used up but the pads shouldn’t turn to rust so quickly.

Yeah, don’t like them at all. They dont “feel” right.

I havent seen those for years. coles have a similar product which does rust in a fairly short time. I’ll put some on the next Woolies order. [edit: done!]

1 Like

Sure, completely compostable, the sponge is cellulose. Made in USA & Europe, so you bark saves on miles

Comes at the right price too! :grin: