Kitchen sponge scourers

1 - warm water, straight out of the hot tap - at a guess, somewhere around 40C
2 - sink of water
3 - plates, pots, chopping board, whatever - also helps clean benchtops
4 - food remains - nothing too hard - ought to come off with a Scotchbrite or Chux scourer - anything really stuck, I use a stainless steel scourer instead
5 - varies - not many - only two people in the house

And no, I haven’t taken it back and demanded a refund. Because I keep several in hand, so I don’t run out. And I’d never be able to show which docket related to which one of them. Stores demand that - but it’s impractical, when you’re running a house.

My solution is simple - screw Chux, they can sell their rubbish to someone else. I’ll go back to Scotchbrite - the worst I can say about them is their scourers go out of shape - the sponge gradually shrinks, pulling the whole contraption into the wrong shape - but at least it’s still usable, unlike Ckux.

3 Likes

I’d take it back and ask for a refund or exchange for another brand. One would expect a renown brand like Chux to last for significantly longer as one pays a price premium for the brand.

Thanks for that, added one to my cart :slight_smile:

I have discovered these

They are available in good cookware shops. They can be tossed in the washing machine or the top rack of the dishwasher to clean them. They seem to be gentle on stainless steel, although if I can fit them in a load, I put the pots in the dishwasher.

1 Like

Today I discovered these same scourers and the Eco sponge/scourer previously mentioned in Victorias Basement so am going to give them a go.

I’ve been using these for years and they do not scratch. Rinse and let dry and they don’t smell. Replace every few months.

1 Like

Disagree, I use a Coles non-scratch mesh sponge scourers have used them for years you get 3 for less than $2.00. They clean well and have never had any problems with them scratching anything. I also use a dish cloth.

2 Likes

We live in the bush on tank water with a dishwasher. I grabbed a large thin flat brown scourer bought from a paint shop for scruffing up between coats and have used it for perhaps 2 years plus. Understand that our usage is light as most things go in the dishwasher.

I use it daily to scrub out the tea rings & brown stains in mugs, scrub pot scum after a soak and clean up the sink with Gumption. I used to peg it in the dishwasher, but my husband worried so much about it coming loose and blocking something. I now put it in a small tub with Sugar Soap (which removes fat and silt), heat in the microwave, rinse, boil in the microwave for 2 mins. Rinse, and while still damp, give it a minute in the microwave again.

1. We don’t use hot water - if it can’t go in the dishwasher we boil the jug and use a small tub. Our HWS is a long way from the kitchen and we don’t want to waste water waiting for hot.
  2. Neither - dishwasher or a bit of water in pot, mug - scrub, tip out and into dishwasher.
  3. Ceramic mugs, stainless steel stew pot, non-stick pan
  4. Tannins, scum from slow cooked meat/veg and some stuck on lentils on base, over cooked meat juice that couldn’t be wiped out with paper, includes some fat - then re-seasoned pan.
  5. Don’t have a single big wash - used many times a day as needed - mugs, sink.
  6. the paint scourer has served us better than the kitchen varieties. We also wash our Chux cloths and rarely throw out things because they “look terrible” if they are still doing their job.
1 Like

Orange juice (with vodka)?
OJ jelly?
I sometimes freeze orange juice, as I don’t get through it very quickly.

2 Likes

The best by far are “Scotch-Brite Heavy Duty scourer and Sponge with Super Absorbent Cellulose”.Tried all the others over the years but these are really good. They come in packs of 3, last quite a long time, and the sponge holds its shape well and doesn’t foam like some of the others do. Not always easy to find in Woolies or Coles, but worth the hunt. Not expensive either.

1 Like

Try the Vileda ‘Dual-Action PU Super Absorbent Scourer 2pk’. I used one at a friends house years ago. I haven’t bought a different brand since. I had no idea sponges could last so long. A two pack lasts me a year.

It’s hard to explain the texture of the scour part, its firm but flexible. I am going to be super disappointed if it is ever discontinued in my lifetime.

Woolworth and Chemist Warehouse sell them. $4.50 for 2 pack I believe.

Have others used these? What are your thoughts on them?

This is what it looks like.

Thanks Marriot. I’ll try them out.

I purchased these items from aldi the rectangular one seems to last without the scouring part falling off compare to the wavy one. I don’t recommend buying the newer wavy one.

maybe it should be added to the list of shonky awards. Notice both packs clearly mention heavy duty. Maybe heavy duty to them means it will remove food particles but surely isn’t for long lasting.

2 Likes

I believe that they mean heavy duty scrubbing, eg, roasting pans, not long lasting.

We have been using the Dishmatic Pro handles with General Purpose Refills for years, filled with Morning Fresh washing up liquid.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/search/products?searchTerm=dishmatic

Works great and a pad lasts around a month or so.

2 Likes

I know those ones. But when real scrubbing is needed on a pot they won’t work. Cutlery or a plate is fine.

1 Like

I also use dishmatic, with a soft scourer whcih does not seem to scratch when used carefully. Everything except plastic and pots and pans go in the new mini dishwasher which seem to deal even with tea stains I had not managed to remove in years of handwashing.

1 Like

We don’t use one regularly.

In the rare time we need to scour a pot or pan, we use a stainless steel scourer. The current one must be about 5 years old.

1 Like

Why not use coconut brushes?

I don’t buy anything at Coles these days… New scrubber cost me $18 for 2 and will last me 18-24 months. Purchased them at Peters of Kensington

or even something like these

https://www.victoriasbasement.com.au/Product/Details/106868/white-magic-eco-basics-coconut-dish-brush-discontinued-july-20

https://www.victoriasbasement.com.au/Product/Details/106869/white-magic-eco-basics-dish-brush

I have seen coconut brushes earlier this year at Aldis

instead of dish washing liquid

I am using smaller size of this one https://www.thewellstore.com.au/products/no-nasties-its-hip-to-be-square-dishwashing-cube-spearmint-and-peppermint-500g?_pos=5&_sid=b54ab917a&_ss=r