K-Mart introduces NEW Condition of ENTRY

This really needs to be highlighted IMO. Systems like this cause SIGNIFICANT risk to staff. When cornered, shoplifters often panic and react aggressively. Staff are not equipped with any systems to keep them safe, beyond calling the centre security. Kmart cares more about preventing theft than they do preventing the assault of their staff. Even being yelled at can be incredibly scary for an ill equipped retail assistant.

8 Likes

If the role is to intercept customers on exit to verify a purchase and take action if the customer does not comply - sounds more like a security function.

It’s getting into HR and IR as to whether store employees signed up for those responsibilities, or whether they have been adequately trained and assessed as competent.

I’m not about to grumble if I’ve paid at an internal register when asked to show proof on exit. Of course the stores who do so could place their checkouts solely at the exit and avoid the need. There is marketing logic to why JB and others do not.

3 Likes

Your comment is so very timely, as I was thinking of writing to kmart to point out that there current payment system, with no staff and in the middle of the store is set up to facilitate easy shoplifting.
I \wonder why I bother to pay for anything at Kmart as the system is set up to encourage shop lifting and the good folks who pay are the ones under scrutiny. I witnessed blatant shop lifting on Friday, but there were probably only two older ladies on the floor. ONe of the was the greeter, and there was no way she could safely challenge the six foot, tattooed yahoos shoplifting small balls (for juggling?). Interestingly, I have not had any receipt scanned for many many months now. The annoying thing about all this is that we honest folk presumably pay more to cover stock loss from shoplifting!

3 Likes

Customer service means. For us oldies having trouble with technology. At eighgty my hands dont feel and fingers dont are rubbery. If they dont want our custom then so be it we will just go where some company wants our money as many of us have a bit of spare. Johnnie H

3 Likes

This is a good point, thanks @phb.
Even with front of the store check outs, scanning would still need to happen to stop that type of theft.

4 Likes

From my experience as a shop assistant (holiday job) in one of Melbourne’s big stores, we were instructed to never approach anyone we had observed shoplifting, but to call security. Security personnel were highly trained on how to deal with it and they would only approach the shoplifter when they were out of the store and onto the street, and I think that’s still the case because when KW3180 didn’t stop to show his receipt at the exit of K-Mart he was stopped by security only when he reached his car in the car park.
If things haven’t changed too much, I wouldn’t think those checking shopping bags and receipts at the store’s exit would be expected to tackle anyone.

6 Likes

Further to that many companies have policies expressly forbidding staff to personally take on miscreants and shop lifters because merchandise is not as valuable as the safety and well-being of the staff.

There are periodic reports staff from various companies have been sacked for taking on a perp while risking themselves, and receive community backlash for doing so.

1 Like

I was in the fashion department of a CBD store in Melbourne, and shoplifting there wasn’t an unusual occurrence especially with the more expensive garments.
Of course it’s too risky for staff confronting a thief in the store but, as a full- time assistant explained to me, they were waiting to see if they changed their mind and put items back or decided to pay for them, whereas leaving the store possessing stolen goods proved intent and going through with the theft, which can then be prosecuted.

1 Like

It’s more imagine if someone brings in an old receipt, picks up the item and heads to the exit. They’re standing in front of the staff member and their receipt flags as already scanned out. How do they react?

1 Like

I expect that all retail floor staff would undergo training in relation to shoplifting and management of shoplifters. It is disappointing that some think it is okay to try and steal from others.

It is an indictment on society when we have to discuss such issues and why the SDA has its No One Deserves a Serve campaign. Abusing or being disrespectful to retail staff because one doesn’t want their purchases checked…or violence toward retail staff because one doesn’t care for others doing their job - this mustn’t be tolerated.

5 Likes

Yes, as customers we suffer from the invasion of privacy which security measures involve and it’s easy to forget that the real culprits are the dishonest ones who shoplift. The term Shoplifting might seem innocuous but as we know it is the crime of Larceny which can carry a penalty of up to 5 years imprisonment.

2 Likes

I agree. But where I live in a rural regional area. If the sales drop & is affecting the bottom line, the the stores just shut up shop and leave town. This is what Target did in this area.
BTW Kmart, Target, Coles, Bunnings & Beaumont Tiles are all owned by Wesfarmers.

And Officeworks, Kleenheat, Soul Pattinson, Priceline, Flybuys and a couple of dozen more businesses that don’t hear of that much including geeks2U. So if you are short of geeks you know where to look.

3 Likes

Worth another look at Westfarmers Corporate web site, or even Wikipedia. One notable they no longer own. Worth checking by business and trading/brand name.

Coles,[30][31]The demerger was effective from 21 November 2018 with Wesfarmers retaining a 15% shareholding.[32] During 2020 Wesfarmers reduced its equity in Coles to 4.9%.[33] In April 2023, Wesfarmers sold off the last of its shares in Coles.[34]

2 Likes

It’s odd. Wesfarmers page on their businesses doesn’t even mention they once had Coles. Coles history page mentions their acquisition by Wesfarmers but not their divorce, leaving the reader to wonder.

The market speaks, or spoke.

It did, but why does Coles not mention it? It isn’t as if it happened last week and they haven’t got around to it.

They do on the respective Coles web sites.

Coles Group (the holding (?) entity)

In March 2018, Wesfarmers announced its proposal to demerge Coles, presenting an exciting opportunity for Coles to become a standalone publicly listed company on the Australian Securities Exchange. The demerger was agreed to by Wesfarmers shareholders in November 2018 and Coles Group listed on the Australian Securities Exchange on 21 November 2018.
https://www.colesgroup.com.au/about-us/?page=our-history

Coles (Supermarkets)

Wesfarmers demerged from Coles in November 2018
https://www.coles.com.au/about/our-history

And then the Bricks and Mortar stores wonder why more people are shopping online.

3 Likes

Unfortunately people do steal goods which then increases the price for the honest shopper.
I have no problem showing my receipt as I exit. The receipt should also be matched with the goods in hand.
They do not necessarily have to scan every single person to send the message. To facilitate the process perhaps during busy periods have multiple staff at the exit.

1 Like