July Food Challenge : Your favourite 'Burger

I’d never buy those patties. Only 80% meat plus fillers and high in salt and fat. For me it’s 100% beef mince.

9 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Poida and thanks for your input .

5 Likes

Home made apple cider slow cooked pulled pork with coleslaw and BBQ sauce on a sesame seed brioche bun is my absolute favourite, but not something we regularly do as the pulled pork can take 4 or 5 hours to cook to perfection.

5 Likes

Before I developed a wheat allergy I loved a takeaway hamburger! These days I have to make my own. I buy Peppercorn Extra Lean beef burger patties from the supermarket, cook them on the BBQ, and serve them on toasted buns topped with grilled cheese (mine is gluten free), topped with fried onion, tomato, cucumber, home pickled beetroot (it’s not a burger without beetroot) and tomato sauce

7 Likes

Personally, I don’t think a burger is worth eating unless it has some fat in the meat, much like sausages and steak. The fat has all the flavour, unless you add onion (which doesn’t cook through properly and always tastes raw) and other flavourings. Red meat is an occasional treat in our house.
Our local butcher makes a great burger from Angus beef with salt and pepper and parsley and little else. They’re not chopped too fine, and after dry-frying (or BBQ in warmer weather) they’re meaty, juicy and very tasty. We use the McD’s Big Mac formula, slightly modified: one all-beef patty, special sauce*, lettuce, cheese, pickles**, a thin sliver of red onion, plus home-made fiery chilli jam, all on half a high-protein bun (keeping carbs low) with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
They are better than any other burger I’ve eaten, and with a fresh slaw on the side, a reasonably healthy treat once in a while.

• special sauce is Coles brand Burger sauce, and pretty close to McD’s Special sauce
    ** burger pickles from a jar, big and crunchy
4 Likes

I’ll second that.

6 Likes

“The burgers are better at Hungry Jacks” :upside_down_face:

1 Like

or Oporto…

We make our own burgers from time to time, with Woolworths beef patties.

1 Like

For some reason i like doing the burger patties same bread soak in milk herbs onions pepper. Bake them. I tended to think they dry out if overcooked. Meatloaf is quite good.

3 Likes

A small group of CHOICE staff formed a Friday Burger Club a few years back. With so many working from home ( especially now that we are in lockdown ), it’s been a while since we’ve had a club outing.

The club’s current reference burger ( by which others are judged ) is made by The General cafe in Dulwich Hill.

I’m also fortunate to live just a few kilometres from Paul’s Hamburgers, something of a classic Sydney institution. There I can revisit my '60s childhood, and partake of a three-course-meal-on-a-bun. Paul’s Famous Hamburgers

11 Likes

Their prices are pretty keen for an independent outlet. especially with the no charge extras, and blow the likes of Burger Urge out of the water.

1 Like

During the 1950’s and 60’s I was fortunate enough to live near " Sam’s Coffee Pot " . It sold 'burgers to die for . People came from all over just to get a 'burger . It was on the corner of Robert’s St and Geelong Rd , Kingsville , Melbourne . Perfectly located for passing trade .

Unfortunately at the end of the 60’s McDonalds purchased the land and Sam’s shut down . It was the last American style diner in our area . The McDonalds that replaced it eventually shut down and moved to the other side of Geelong Rd when Hungry Jacks opened up .

To this day I have never purchased a 'burger to match Sam’s .

3 Likes

I make my own.

Patties:

• 80/20 mince (or higher fat if available)
  • Salt
  • Pepper

Mix and shape patties into a sort of doughnut-ish shape, thinner in the middle, to avoid them turning into balls when you cook them. Put a slice of Bega tasty cheese on after the flip.

Eat.

Options: Make a “bun” using bacon or grilled halloumi.

6 Likes

My favourite is no longer available as the place that offered is long shut. It was at the Truck stop at Billinudgel in Northern NSW. It had all the ingredients required ie the beef pattie, bacon, tender steak, fresh and ripe tomato, grilled or fresh onion, mushrooms, the freshest of lettuce, cucumber, cheese, a choice of sauces, a bun that was really fresh and also toasted, butter….(many of the fillings added or removed to imbiber’s liking). It was a meal between bread and often required cutlery to eat it.

2 Likes

Grill’d

3 Likes

Don’t know who the chef was, but the secret is a spash worcestershire sauce, some tomato sauce, mice and combine. The real key is to not ever over handle the meat. The less the better.

4 Likes

Personally, I will pass on the mice.

1 Like

What is the reason for that?

mice.

ha

minnnnnnnnce

2 Likes

over handling, when you massage and ball it into shape then pat and squish and reshape. It pushes the mince together. you ended up with that tight ball of mince that has a slightly unappealing mouthfeel.
Just handle enough to have the sauces mix then gently shape.

5 Likes