Joining "Myer one" changed my sale-priced selection to revert to full price. Why?

I recently found a favourite item advertised at its usual full price (about $60) on several websites, but saw Myer and Berlei both had it on special for just under $42. I selected two at Myer and put them in my basket/cart.

Myer promotes joining MYER one to get a discount and rewards, so I joined and added all the necessary shipping info, etc.

When I went to purchase them, the price had gone back to the full price. No way could I activate the sale price. If I do another Google search now, the sale price is still advertised at Myer, but if I click it, their website changes the photo immediately to the full price.

Needless to say, I shopped at Berlei, where I also have an account, but their sale price was still active.

I recognised the format of Myer’s checkout page, and it’s like others where adding my email address is enough to automatically fill in my home/billing address, courtesy of Shopify (I assume). Now I wonder if there’s some trigger that says “she can pay full price”. :joy:

I’m trying to close my Myer one membership, but I had to ask to do it through their chat bot, so I’m not holding my breath.

Memberships and rewards attract return customers, but only when they’re worth it.

What’s your experience?

4 Likes

Do you have a link to the Myer website for the product?

This will allow community members to see if it is on special or if you happened to be on their website at the time of a price change.

In relation to Google, pricing show through Google searches can be wrong due to a number of factors. It isn’t fully reliable.

2 Likes

When I first went to the Myer website, the price was the sale price. It was only when I joined Myer one, that the price changed to the full price.

I don’t rely on Google for accurate info, but at least it points me in a direction.

Berlei:

See what shows for you.

1 Like

Cheers.

Looking at the Myer website the price I see is $59.95 - not on special.

You might have just been unlucky that the price changed when first visiting the Myer website, registering for Myer One (we aren’t members) and then proceeding with the purchase.

1 Like

I had two in my Myer basket/cart at $41.97 each and then saw the promo to join Myer one to get a 10% joining discount (as I recall), and as soon as I joined, the price on the two in my basket went up to full price. That’s why it was so odd. If I hadn’t been so greedy, I wouldn’t have had the problem

There’s was nothing to suggest that a Myer one “discount” was only for full-price items or to say sale price items wouldn’t be available.

I don’t think I can recreate the situation, but at least I got the price I wanted at Berlei instead.

Thanks for having a look.

4 Likes

It is still “on special” , according to the Myer website, until midnight Sunday 
 :grinning:

3 Likes

Is there a possibility the joining discount could not be applied in addition to the sale price discount? IE the 10% joining discount applies only to the full retail price. It’s a common condition with retailers that discounts cannot be combined.

Looking at the MyerOne T&C’s did not clarify how it is? We can only assume the 10% off joining offer had an attached set of conditions.

Is the MyerOne reward program good value?
It appears to most reward very frequent customers.
Is there better pricing to be found for the same products elsewhere?
YMMV

1 Like

Looking at the advertisement posted just above, the price offered had nothing to do with a 10% MYER one discount . The only reference to the rewards program was that the purchase could be worth up to 82 reward points. Even if only one discount was applied, the price would still be less than the full price of $59.95. With a 10% discount price should have been around $54 each, instead the price was then full price “about $60” as @pattymac stated.

Is it worth it? It is great for Myer as it gives them a lot more purchasing info about members compared to nonmembers. For a consumer, it isn’t very different to other reward programs as it offers $10 off per 1,000 points (earn at a rate of 2 points per $1 spent). The reward tiers above the entry one offer some more value but cost a reasonably significant spend to get higher levels. To achieve for example Silver a spend of between $1,500 and $5,999 needs to be achieved in the membership year (the year starts on 1 April and ends 31 March the next Year). Points expire after 2 years if they haven’t been converted to rewards.

MYER one was able to be used at a number of other places other than Myer, this ceased in January 2021, I believe, and was supposed to be updated in the same year. It has not reappeared.

1 Like

I have been a Myer One member for some years now. So far I haven’t had any problems. Since it was free to join anyway and I do shop at Myers for many items, then for me it was a no brainer really. I do know that Myer (and probably many other stores) do have ‘short burst’ sales with an end date. This may have been the situation in your case. (ie: the sale ends Sunday, so at the end of that period, prices do revert to full price
until the next ‘short burst’!! Of course that fact ought to be clearly shown on their site.) I admit that I don’t do much online shopping with them, so perhaps I don’t know enough to really comment. I also add that the rewards are greater the more you buy, as they have different levels of rewards (did?) so that is another factor to bear in mind.

2 Likes

When I visited the MYER online page today (4th of May, 2024) the price I see is the advertised sale price of $41.97. There may be some coding error that has led to the price going up to full value on the attempted purchase by @pattymac.

Contact with MYER may have resolved the issue. As the price increase situation had occurred for @pattymac, MYER lost a sale and Berlei received the sale instead and cut out MYER from receiving any benefit from the sale. An issue though might be how many others may have been caught, and if they weren’t aware may have lost any discount that they were entitled to.

@Norma thank you for your feedback about the rewards program. Sadly for @pattymac, it wasn’t that the sale had ended but was because between putting the items in the “basket” and attempting to finalise the purchase, the price in the basket went back to the full price per item so no discount applied regardless of any applicable Myer one discounts or the current sale discount on the items.

On the of 5th of May,2024, the price still shows the sale price of $41.97.

2 Likes

Thanks for everyone’s comments. @grahroll has summed it up well.

The other day, when I’d click on the google result that showed Myer’s SALE price, Myer’s page would come up and the price would be the FULL price. I suspected there may have been a tracking cookie glitch of some sort.

I decided not to clear all cookies, since I did that only recently, and it’s a pain re-signing into everywhere again. :blush:

Today, I can click through to Myer and see the red sale notice with the end date. I don’t recall seeing that the first time, but that may be a matter of my recall, not the “truth” :rofl:

I am still waiting for them to close my Myer one account 

2 Likes

It also shows the sale price at my end today as well. 3 days ago it shows the full price.

I suspect that Myer may be using a time based sale model, where sale prices change depending on the day/time of day. Peak times, sales go off, off peak times sales go on. The airlines also use a similar model.

This model makes sense for the problem identified above
as the change in pricing could have occurred at the time one was on the website.

2 Likes