It is dishwasher safe, But

I could not walk past the sale price (well under USA prices!) and the baking pans are actually nice. The outside packaging proudly states dishwasher safe. Does it get better than that?

When opened the small print is a creative way to say ‘gotcha’. You can put it in the dishwasher but you cannot use the most common forms of dishwasher detergents (or possibly even a full serve of granules?). I suspect many juries would be hung whether this is false and misleading advertising/labelling or not.

6 Likes

We have had a number of Anolon Advanced pans including 3 saucepans, a casserole, 2 frying pans and a roasting pan for many years.

The items are fantastic and very easy to clean in the sink with Morning Fresh and hot water, but the instructions explicitly state that they are not to be placed in the dishwasher, and doing so will void the warranty.

The pricing displayed on the website are La La Land prices. The items usually retail for around half or less than the prices listed. Still not cheap but fantastic products when looked after.

4 Likes

Yes, seem a bit ridiculous. It possibly would fall into unreasonable terms and conditions. How can it be dishwasher safe if one can’t use dishwasher tablets or capsules…when these are possibly the common forms of detergent used in a dishwasher.

I also suspect that the good old powder is potentially as corrosive/caustic as tablets or capsules.In fact, it is potentially more corrosive especially if the user decides that more powder is better and makes a cleaner wash.

9 Likes

Cookware chicanery. I bet this has caught a few people out.

Thanks for highlighting it here @PhilT

7 Likes

This is because they use aluminium as the pan/pot material and the alkaline detergents used in dishwashers react with the aluminium creating a gas and an aluminium salt and eventually will “eat” the aluminium away. Even a little washing in the dishwasher will result in pitting and while it is unlikely to be seen by the naked eye in the very early stages most people would notice a dulling of the surface as a result of the corrosion.

If you would like to see this reaction there are many Youtube videos of the process. The following is a link to one such video:

8 Likes

Hi graholl.

I wasn’t querying why the manufacturer stated not to put their products in the dishwasher but merely trying to illustrate the difference between the wishy-washy instructions that The BBG was commenting on and the clear-cut instructions from Anolon.

I have witnessed just what the dishwasher does to anodised aluminium after trying to wash some coloured beakers in one some years ago.

And in any case, the Anolon Advanced non-stick coating is so good, it is almost effortless to clean it with hot water and dishwashing liquid.

3 Likes

No problem, I’m glad you were aware, I added it just in case you weren’t but there are some who perhaps aren’t/weren’t aware before and hopefully that will help them out as well to understand why no aluminium products should ever be washed in a dishwasher. 1.) it corrodes the aluminium, 2.) as the reaction occurs it makes the detergent much less effective or even useless in cleaning.

DuPont make the Autograph 2 non stick coating used in the cookware. It is related to Teflon but has no perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) but is still a perfluorinated chemical (PFC) coating. There is a 2010 report/article on PFCs that may interest readers:

http://www.ncceh.ca/sites/default/files/Health_effects_PFCs_Oct_2010.pdf

5 Likes

We have several aluminium spun or drawn pots and pans with Teflon style coatings. They predate us owning a dishwasher. It may not be that obvious to many consumers that they can’t be washed in a dishwasher with standard tablets or powder. It took us a while to remember this fact from the dishwasher booklet.

I don’t recollect our most recent purchase of a non stick pan having anything on the packaging to say it was or was not dishwasher safe. So you assume it is not.

The ones that have trapped us until recently are the stainless steel tongs with silicon grips and tips. Given the materials used are not cheap plastic nor the tongs a $2 sale item the hinge or pivot fails within a short period of time. Many of these are sold as a loose item. On close examination the pivot or hinge appears to be aluminium or alloy. It only needs a small amount of dish washer exposure to eat the formed lip of what is a rivet away. So miserable for an item made of durable 316 stainless and expensive heat resisting silicon rubber.

Woollies, Target, Kmart etc they all seem to stock similar product all with the same alloy rivert for the hinge/pivot.

5 Likes

Yes they are and we have found the same thing.

They can be easily repaired by installing a small diameter stainless steel bolt where the pressed rivet was…and then tbey will last for many more years and won’t fail.

6 Likes

We only started using a dishwasher 15 months ago. We always use Earth Choice tablets but have never thought about the suitability of our non stick aluminium cookware. Fortunately no items have suffered any deterioration, so far. They are all induction safe. Have we just been lucky in the choice of tablets? We have a Raco saute pan and 2 Pyrolux frying pans. Others are stainless steel.

3 Likes

In my reply, I should has stated that we use the eco setting on the dishwasher, which uses 55 deg water for the wash and 70 deg for the rinse. This would have some relevance to results, which have been very good, without corrosion.

1 Like

We have been using the same brand of tablets, and we have noticed over time discolouration of the exposed aluminium lips or other surfaces. The rivets etc in utensils are definitely corroded whether we have used Earth Choice, or previously Finish brand tablets and powders.

If may be that until any factory coating fails or you get micro scratches through the coatings not much will be evident. Once it starts though it may cause the adjacent coating to be under cut and lift, so we do all of our aluminium cook ware by hand.

2 Likes

Time will tell, only 15 months so far, it will be interesting to see what happens in the coming 12 months or so.

2 Likes

The temperature will only affect the speed of the chemical reaction between the caustic agents in the detergent and the washed items. Essentially it means that a larger number of washes would be needed to have the same corrosive effect.

If you are interested in knowing what is on Earth Choice dishwashing tablets, there is details in the product MSDS:

https://www.naturesorganics.com.au/uploads/57e49b1461ce7.pdf

3 Likes

Thanks for the info… Looks as if it is safe to proceed!

1 Like

I agree. The coating protects the aluminium surfaces from reacting with the caustic soda in the dishwasher detergent; once the coating wears off corrosion will occur.

2 Likes