Issues with Printer @ HN

Hello,

In April I bought a printer MPF Epson Workforce 2750 from Harvey Norman.

From the beginning I had troubles registering the WIFI with the printer. I would do one set of printing and 2 hours later would try another page or 2 of printing and the printer would not read the WIFI. Hence right from the start, I had reinstall the communication again and again between the Printer/WIFI/computer. It worked for a while. Then stopped.

Then I had to do some scanning of important documents. The printer would not do it.

I checked all drivers from Epson site and did an updateā€¦to no avail. Restarted computer and printer. Left it overnightā€¦So, to do 3 page scan took me 2h to sort itā€¦Still not working.

Exasperated, I too it back to HN and told them of my problems with the Epson.
Sales person/tech officer saying:
have to send it back to Epsonā€¦fair enough. But Epson tech services did not have IMAc to test it with. Well, if the MFP canā€™t be tested please refund or exchangeā€¦ The guys could not exchange or refund, because the store was without a manager and he did not have the authority to do anythingā€¦It was suggested that I contacted Epson. I did.

5 emails down the track, and no problems fixedā€¦I was told to ring. I did. The lady on the phone said she could not do anything and had to speak to her supervisorā€¦another week or so and he is in Sydney. ( might be a few weeks to be resolved at this rate ā€¦My conclusion). I told her to give a time and date ā€œSOONā€ she repliedā€¦ I left the conversation totally flattened and annoyed.

Phoned back to HNā€¦and got given the same spiel as the first time. No manager, no authority, the franchisee store had no one to deal with these issues and in the meantime I am stuck with no printer or a partially/spasmodically working/not working printer.:tired_face: He told me to bring it back and he was going to take it up with EPSONā€¦How long am I meant to wait? How long should I be without a tool that I purchased to get some jobs done?

Any insight of what I could do?

5 Likes

Hi @pegi228,

Youā€™ve been incredibly patient in my opinion, you shouldnā€™t have to wait so long to have the issue resolved. At this stage, you might be best summarising your complaint in writing (via email) to Harvey Normal and letitng them know you will be escalating the complaint to your local fair trading body unless they can resolve it quickly. You might need to call the store for their email if one isnā€™t readily available online.

Make sure to list of the details youā€™ve provided above and let them know tthgey are required to provide a remedy under the Australian Consumer Law. We have some templates that might also help. Also, point out they have 48 hours to provide a response indicating whether they will resolve the issue or not.

If they canā€™t resolve the issue or donā€™t respond, the next step is to contact your local government consumer affairs body and escalate the complaint. Let us know how you go, and good luck.

5 Likes

Thanks so much for these simple stepsā€¦and a good advice.

This is not the first time that I had to deal with defective Item. Ihad the same story with Ipad a few years back but stuck to my rights and got the issue resolved pretty fast.

I will take the Epson MFP back to HN Lismore and discuss it for the last time with the person "in charge"who is not in chargeā€¦LOL.
Will definitely keep you posted and thanks again for your help.

6 Likes

If you are a Choice member, this is another avenue to take if the above does not work:

5 Likes

Hey there, many thanksā€¦Yes, I am a member and have been for the last umpteen years. I will have recourse to Choice Help if nothing eventuates from my talks on Friday.

I am also part of the board as I was nominated/asked to be part of it a few years back and I am extremely grateful to belong to such a vibrant community, so helpful and a whole bunch of experts out there serving the customers and standing for their rights.

I am glad to be able to participate in some discussions and give ideas to the best of my knowledge.

6 Likes

Hi all, after waiting for more than a week HN ( Harvey Noman) finally accepted to a refund and getting a new printer. Epson would not allow me to buy another one of their products because they could not test it on a MAcā€¦Really??? did not believe a word of it.

I bought a Brother MFC 4620DW. No problems so far. WIFI is working with no hassles.

Thanks everyone for their input

3 Likes

Do you have that in writing? it might be helpful to pass on the Choice if you do, so they can recommend against Epson for all Mac users. I imagine we Linux users would be similarly wise to avoid Epson, who apparently have no skills in the area of ā€˜printer testingā€™.

Last Epson I bought was an FX-100 - not a fan of the modern ones, that this 9 pin dot matrix was a bottler!

4 Likes

FWIW I have one, a mate bought one after seeing mine, and we love them. If you ever need Brother tech support you will find they are far better than most, too! The only irritation I found is the scanner control is pretty unfriendly (file names - how hard can they make it?), and it is not great at photos (they usually look fine at 500mm, but on inspection they can be OK or shonky)

3 Likes

Unfortunately, no. Nothing in writing.

HN also did not have any Mac in their workshop in Ballina according to them to test the Epson. They did negotiate with Epson apparently to sort it out, that is what I understood coming from Epson. Not allowed to buy another one.
I also think the fact that HN did not want to send it back because of costs and also no Mac to test it, I would not be surprised if the arrangement was mutualā€¦Just speculations.

3 Likes

I agree with you. I did have one for 10 years before upgrading. I should have stuck with Brother in the first place.Epson is not very user friendly at all I found out.

3 Likes

I stuck to Epson throughout the dot matrix days. They made some great printers back then :slightly_frowning_face:.

1 Like