Is the modern car any more reliable that one built before the turn of the century?

It’s all on the web how to reset those codes.
OTOH with a modern vehicle it would be unwise to fiddle about unless you are qualified.

2 Likes

Have you ever wondered why the car prices remained frozen in time?

For example, 2000 Volkswagen Golf GTi 4th Gen had an RRP of $40,790.

The 2010 Volkswagen Golf GTi 6th Gen had an RRP of $42,990.

Now the 2020 Volkswagen Golf GTi 7.5 Gen had an RRP of $47,190.

That’s less than a 16% price increase in 20 years.

If a 2000 VW Golf went up by a 3% inflation rate every year, a 2010 Golf would be $53,222, and the 2020 model would be $71,526.

Even factoring in clever designs, cheaper materials and manufacturing automation to save costs, cars are not built with longevity in mind.

Coming back to your post, Slammer, even the batteries are designed to only last past the warranty period. You would be hard-pressed to find products that will last 10 years these days. No wonder our landfills are overflowing. We need to re-evaluate what is important to consumers. I am willing to pay more for better quality products that last well past the warranty period.

But in terms of reliability, I would say modern vehicles are more reliable. People used to break down once or twice a year in my younger years. These days, no one uses ‘car breaking down’ to excuse being late to an appointment. They break down much less frequently.

1 Like