Is the $89 Kmart coffee machine worth buying?

I bought the K-Mart coffee machine. It makes great coffee, and I’m pleased that I bought it. However, it has two serious flaws:

1. I can’t fit a standard coffee mug under the portafilter, so I have to use a cup to catch the shot and then pour it into my mug.

2. It won’t properly fit a 2-cup milk jug under the steam wand, so you have to froth your milk twice if you’re having a cuppa with a friend. It doesn’t come with a milk jug, so I have to go and buy one, and it turns out it’s hard to find milk jugs that are single size - I’m still looking. Instead, I use an electric milk frother, which doesn’t give the same creamy results as when made with a steam wand.

I use my machine often (but not for frothing milk), and for $89 you get great coffee, but I really wish they’d made it a bit taller. If it had cost me $189, I’d have been disappointed.

I also have an AeroPress that cost under $50 including delivery, and I use that half the time. But not all the time, because you really want to measure your water temp (I have an IR thermometer) to get the best flavour - not a problem with the K-Mart machine.

5 Likes