Is olive oil good or bad for frying?

Is it true that Olive Oil is not good for frying?

Olive Oil isn’t generally considered a good frying oil, mainly because of its low smoking point ( especially in the better quality ones).

But I think that the smoking point can be managed by not having the burners at a very high setting, and not leaving food in for longer than absolutely necessary.

The reward is a superior flavour and taste that’s hard to match.

12 Likes

Great topic @Gaby :+1: I’ll be watching with interest (for selfish reasons :slight_smile: ).

8 Likes

All oils produce toxins when they smoke after being heated . The link below explains it better than I could . I sometimes use extra virgin olive oil for frying but mostly I use light olive oil .

10 Likes

I use it almost exclusively for all types of cooking, but try to avoid very high temps and smoking it up too much when using the wok or frypan on the induction hob. Sometimes I use macadamia oil.

5 Likes

The trick is not to get it too hot, smoking comes from oil, any oil, that is burning because of a too high heat.

As Evoo is a bit expensive, other types of olive oil can be used.

Canola is good but the food absorbs the oil or fat it is cooking in, and that’s what makes the olive oil best, in my opinion.
A bit like using a cheap wine because it’s
‘Only for cooking’ but a more expensive one will make the food taste a lot better.

5 Likes

This is my approach. EVOO is fine for a lower temp shallow fry like schnitzel where you need to cook meat through and lightly brown the coating without darkening the edges. If you are going to eat a bit of oil, as with a crumbed food, the flavour is good. For stir fry I use peanut oil.

I agree in principle that a basic OO would probably do just as well as EVOO but I already have enough oil bottles and tins in the cupboard and for the number of times I use it that way in a year the price difference is not worth the trouble of having another.

5 Likes

From what I have read and also seen on cooking shows, it comes down to both temperature and taste.

As has been stated above, olive oil has a relatively low smoking point so it is not really suitable for high temperature cooking.

It also has a fairly strong taste so it can overpower foods such as tempura, stir fries and some salads.

However, when hight cooking temperatures are not required and a robust flavour is desirable, it is certainly a very health option.

We use Australian made Cobram Estate and Red Island extra virgin olive oils almsot exclusively. For tempura, we use peanut oil and for salads, we use Mazzetti salad dressings.

3 Likes

An article regarding fats, and olive oil in particular.

3 Likes

Superior isnt the word I would use. I’m using olive oil for frying just to get rid of it. It turns out I prefer a “lite” olive oil, the usual oil has too strong a taste and its disgusting. The taste is hard to match. Thank goodness.

I actually prefer some things fried in butter, but overall, its coconut oil for me.

3 Likes

One of the challenges with choosing a cooking oil might be no two oils are the same?

Oils for cooking and used as dressings are sold or marketed on magical properties such as taste and appearance. Product placements and endorsements are key for some chefs pocket money.

In looking for some more science Wikipedia has a table of smoke or flash temperatures for a range of oils used in the kitchen.

From the table

Which olive oil is best? It is far from clear. There appear to be variations due to processing and perhaps even due to source variety of olives?

Perhaps we need to insist on all oil products intended for use in frying, heated cooking get a suitable for cooking tick and certified minimum smoke temperature! Otherwise DO NOT COOK with the product?

Palm oil looks like an option if you like to cook extra hot on the plate. :hot_face: Not my recommendation!

4 Likes

Another aspect, a while ago I rubbed a bit of (refined olive) oil on a pork belly and put it in the oven at 220C per the instructions, all without thinking much (at all?). The cleanup was epic! I think about the importance of thinking about oils ever since :wink:

6 Likes

It’s cold this morning and I am slow. I don’t understand how rubbing pork belly with one kind of oil as opposed to any other made a mess in the oven. Or are you saying don’t rub it with oil at all?

2 Likes

It pays to always cook like a professional?

Someone else gets to clean the oven! :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

The oil needs to have a higher temp rating than you are going to be cooking at otherwise the oil smokes and spatters at temperature and makes a serious mess! Trust me.

4 Likes

Sorry, oil does not splatter (it catches fire if too heated) but water does splatter.
Try drying your pork belly roast with a paper towel, and rubbing the top with a little oil mixed with salt.

3 Likes

Neither my eloquence nor my cooking is up to the topic on most days. But regardless the spattering is from water/steam origins it made a mess. It was educational.

4 Likes

I don’t doubt the splattering happened but I am not convinced the type of oil was responsible.

2 Likes

I totally understand: being the one who does the cleaning up I try very hard to avoid ‘Messy’ dishes😊

5 Likes

Same at my home. Olive oil is reserved for salads, and very occasional baking.

5 Likes

@PhilT A good idea Phil is to wrap the pork belly or whatever in aluminium foil . Less mess and very tender :wink:

5 Likes