Iron review

Find the best clothes iron with our iron review (member content), or see our iron buying guide for tip on buying an iron and the features on offer.

What type of iron do you use and how has it performed?

3 Likes

I am waiting for a fully automated one
where you place clothes in the ironing basket, push a button, and hey presto, clothes are ironed and hung.

13 Likes

I thought George Jetson and family had one years ago but I still haven’t seen it marketed near me :slight_smile:

6 Likes

We haven’t used ours in years.

5 Likes

Hah! snap - what the hell is an iron? maybe they are used in parts of the world where people wear ties? Third wrinkled countries maybe. This thread should be linked to the one about moving to the country - no iron needed, with the possible exception of preachers and undertakers 

4 Likes

I have one of those had one since I meet my wife,not sure where she gets them from if she tells me I’ll let you know

3 Likes

Our iron review has been updated for 2019.

4 Likes

Another update for our iron review (member content).

3 Likes

I have a little confusion over some of the iron ratings. As it is paid member content I will just point to the confusing pros and cons and not the iron rating:

In the pros it states as a point “Very good ease of use” yet the cons state “The temperature control is a little stiff to operate” & " Very heavy and can be tiring to use. Hard on the wrist". My question is how the pro statement can be compatible with the con statements when they are about ease of use.

Then another states in pros “Very good ease of use overall” yet in the cons “Water spray doesn’t cover a very wide area and over wets the fabric in places” & “Some may find it too heavy”.

Yet another in pros states " Very good ease of use overall" & yet in cons “Water level is not easy to see” & “Heavy”.

Hopefully you can see why they seem confusing.

5 Likes

I can see why that would be confusing, will pass on the feedback. As way of explanation, when they are talking ‘good ease of use’ they are referring to multiple factors (listed here). But if one of those factors doesn’t measure up it goes onto the bad points list. A more detailed breakdown might help clarify the situation? Thanks @grahroll

3 Likes

I started looking for a new iron and became bamboozled by the size and weight. Went back to the old steam and dry iron. When I bother, that is :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you @BrendanMays, we have been looking at buying a new iron (yes it is a shock that we actually do iron on occasion :smile: as it is generally abhorrent to us). The fact that those irons in the tests were possibles for us my better half was not thrilled at the heavy descriptions as arthritis does rear it’s head in our household so ease of use was confusing to us.

5 Likes

We found judicious clothes shopping for things made with ‘the right’ fabrics, and a gentle tumble dryer has obviated our need for ironing. We have an old iron but it is used so infrequently it needs dusting prior to use even though it is kept in a cupboard. :laughing:

4 Likes

Some more formal shirts like white business shirts for special occasions and trousers sometimes need addressing with an iron to look “smart” but like you it has become mostly iron free fabrics wherever possible.

4 Likes

We generally wear natural fibres which show crushes etc. We chose to wear them un-ironed as ironing is in the eye of the beholder
and we don’t really care if we looked a bit un-ironed.

5 Likes

I’ve found not caring about wrinkles has eliminated the need for finding the right fabrics :slight_smile:

Likewise.

Yet again, the CHOICE review doesn’t address the suitability of irons for the ‘sport’ of ‘extreme ironing’ :wink:

4 Likes

I bought a Braun Texstyle 5 iron less than 6 months ago and I am not very impressed with its performance. It was recommended by choice as well)
It doesn’t get hot enough to get the creases out and the button for the extra steam has to be held down all the time to be used. I have quite small hands and can not physically hold the steam button on maximum steam continuously while ironing.
I have also noted on some reviews that other people are having a similar problem.

Below was the reply I received from Braun when making an enquiry:
I would like to let you know that this particular iron does not work like a standard iron with the selection of fabrics.
The Texstyle 5 has a smart Icare mode that detects the fabric you are using and will automatically heat up to a certain temperature and will not increase to burn the fabrics in anyway.
The numbers on top of the iron relate to the amount of steam you wish to use: Number 1 being low/ less steam and 6 being high / more steam. This Iron is a steam-generated unit so you are able to do turbo steam verticle and horizontal and also do steam shots for hard creases.
With this information, Please test the Iron once again keeping in mind that the steam is what is required to permeate creases and the more steam that is used, the better the outcome.

I am still waiting on an outcome after sending them a video of my hubbie doing the ironing.
Fingers crossed as it definitely wasn’t a cheap iron.
Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem.

Hi. I’m after a new steam iron, wanting one that doesn’t spit water. I’ve looked at all the ones reviewed in Choice, also looked at the responses from the people who reviewed the irons, and I can’t find one that doesn’t, or one that people are really happy with. I don’t want a iron that is too heavy due to my arthritic fingers. Any suggestions please.

2 Likes

Hi Lorraine,
Did you see my review about the Braun Texstyle 5 iron above?
After many emails and phone calls I managed to get a full refund on this terrible iron. :slight_smile:
I ended up buying a cheaper Russell Hobbs iron - Steam glide ultra model number RHC940 and it is good so far.
I don’t do a lot of ironing so it’s ok for me, but just check the weight of it because it might be a bit on the heavy side for you.
I had trouble too finding an iron with good reviews too and ended up buying the Braun one which was hopeless.
Good luck

1 Like

I haven’t ironed since I bought my fancy iron which is too big and heavy. Well I did use it long enough to determine that I didnt like it. I don’t even need a steam iron, if I intended to iron I have a spray bottle to get the clothes damp beforehand.

1 Like