Insurance insists on cash payout for repair

Having engaged a builder to build my house some years ago I can say that it can be stressful at times. They are always trying on ways to extract more money than the original contract. And I had to learn a lot about construction to make sure the builder was doing the right thing and building to plans.
If I needed major repairs done on my home I would much prefer the insurance company managed and paid for the whole thing than have to do it myself after a cash payout. I could, but as I said I have experience in doing it now, and it would still be stressful. Given that we hear about builders going broke every week.

1 Like

An update on this.
I laid a complaint with AFCA and I was happy with their determnation. They were very fair I thought.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update. Would you be amenable to filling in the blanks on how you/it came out?

1 Like

Without going into specifics, Suncorp paid out based on a “quote” from JLG but JLG were not prepared to do the repair for Suncorp or anyone else at that price.
The best quote I could get was double the payout and I am not able to do the repairs myself. AFCA deternined that a payout should be close to the only quote received from a willing repairer. The payout was enough to get trades people to do most of the work and family members doing the painting. A very stressful year, but the end is in sight.

4 Likes

The concept of gaming the system comes to mind, even if not through outright collusion.