Instant Hot Water Urns

Does anyone find these can make you sick.? We suspect the gut issues we have had after using a Xiaomi SCISHARE Instance Hot Water Dispenser are due to non FOODSAFE components. However no one, including state authorities can confirm this. They say ask the manufacturer. LOL.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community @jdarcy

That would be most concerning. Their advertising for SCISHARE (as reproduced on an ebay advertisement) states it is made of ‘Food-graded touchable material’.

Can you confirm the product was washed prior to use, as most need to be to remove manufacturing residues and latent chemicals?

Have you made a report and asked Xiaomi, and what was the reply?

2 Likes

Hi @jdarcy, welcome to the community.

I believe it is unlikely it would be due to ’

as it appears it is made mostly of plastic.

It would be interesting to know what water is used and how the appliance stores the water (such as in a reservoir at room temp, slightly warmed or boiling hot).

Storing of water at room temperature or slightly above (up to about 60°C), microbes naturally present in water can multiply to concentrations which have the potential to impact on one’s health.

If the water in the appliance is emptied regularly and/or stored at >60°C, it may not be microbial contamination and your upset stomachs could be just coincidental with the purchase of the appliance… and due to something else.

What does the user guide say about its use, maintenance requirements and/or microbial contamination?

I once worked at a place that actually had a tea-lady with a trolley who came around dispensing liquid ambition. She was very diligent cleaning her equipment and the cups including using a sink full of bleach. The problem is that she didn’t wash it off.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for all the replies. Yes the product was thoroughly precleaned as per manufactures directions and had a descale also after two months. Although Xiaomi makes the claim about their components, often these are not up to specs as the manufacturer expects. We are certain it is causing the gut upset with one member of the family and not paranoia. In fact i have a friend who had major health issue after installing a washer in a kitchen sink tap. These inferior components do get past the ‘gatekeepers’.

P.S. The dispenser keeps the water at room temperature and it is replaced every day so this is not the source of any contamination.

Considering the following comments,

Is there a water analysis or chemical analysis of the product to support this claim?

If there is a correlation?
Asian manufactured products dominate the Australian supply chain. Considering the volume of product includes goods from tap washers to motor vehicles. Why are there not millions of Australians recounting similar outcomes?

Evidence of the mechanism leading to causation is also required. In the instance of changing a tap washer, coincidence is an alternative explanation, exposure to one of the common household bugs through the action of changing the washer is another. Neither of these possibilities are connected to the quality of the new tap washer. There are so many other more likely possibilities than an unsuitable material used for a tap washer.

You may be certain but without knowing more details it is hard for anybody else to say.

This is another problem altogether. It isn’t reasonable to assume that the health event was caused by the plumbing event without facts showing the connection. Depending on the nature of the health issue there may be many ways for it come about.

You now seem to be generalising further about health effects of plumbing parts. I have not seen anything published that hints at that. If it was widespread you would think there would be more complains.

Hi, Many thanks for the sceptical comments. As a trained pharmacist i concur with the sentiment. With regard to the tap washer it was recalled from the market after it was proven to be contaminated by the authorities.

Cheers.

Your comments would have had more weight if you had mentioned that. What was the product and the maker?

The only one I can find is a Aldi mixer tap which wasn’t ultimately recalled as a result of alleged high lead contamination. After additional testing by Aldi, it was reported the water from the taps met the Australian Water Quality Guidelines for lead.

But, later it was reported the QBCC subsequently tested the tap and found it didn’t comply…

But later on, Aldi did release another statement saying it was found to comply…

A shemozzle to say the least. And, there were anecdotal reports at time of users having effects from the tap’s use. It is more likely any alleged effects were from:

The alloys in taps and metal plumbing fittings can contain lead and how safe that is has been brought up a few times, along with the value of recommendations to run the water a bit to flush out any dissolved lead before use.

I am not aware of any reason why a polymer washer would ever contain lead.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Household Water Storage & Tanks: regulations, standards, products, and your problems