Infuriating Choice website issues

Can some one please tell me where the link to the Comparison Tool is on this page from the Choice Website → https://www.choice.com.au/money/insurance/health/compare?

I’m using a Mac and cannot see a link on the page. For a alleged consumer advocate website it really is poor form.

Would the green button be what you seek?

When a member is logged in

When not logged in or not a member

If you do not see the aforementioned box can you show a screen shot of your display? Or did you mean something else?

3 Likes

Doesn’t show up on mine

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

1 Like

I went to the page you linked directly and from the quiz. I tried it on Windows with Firefox, Chrome and MS Edge. All worked as they should. I then tried it on an iPad with Safari and it also worked properly. I also tried on an Android phone with no problem. My conclusion is the problem is most likely something on your device.

First try zooming in/out to see if it appears. After that the typical troubleshooting is to start by clearing your browser cache to see how it goes. I doubt rebooting would correct it, but that is also worth a try.

4 Likes

I suspect it is member content and you are not logged in.

1 Like

No, if you look at the screenshot it is missing the entire section I showed. If not logged in the second screen accounts for that.

It is odd the way the page in rendering. In the blue banner it says “Hello”.

If I am logged in it says “Hi myaccountname”, if I am logged out it says “Join Choice”

1 Like

HI - cleared ‘History’ on the computer and no change. I’m running Safari 17.1.2 on a 2019 Mac with the current OS.

Clearing history is not clearing cache.

1 Like

Thanks - but I am using a desktop Mac on OSX. There is a process to clear the cache - however its long and complicated because it usually doesn’t need to be done to see the latest features on a webpage → How to clear the cache on Mac | Tom's Guide

I’ve tried accessing the page of Chrome as well with the same results. The point is that the website obviously has a few issues if two up to date browsers can’t access the information.

1 Like

You could be in some zombie status. Neither logged in nor logged out. This could have interesting effects on what elements are displayed.

Logging out and back in?

I do not have access to a Mac so cannot try it.

Caches can get corrupted and the only way to be sure is to clear them. They are not just about showing ‘the latest features on a webpage’.

Tom’s describes the Mac’s cache not Safari’s. Is this what you already did?

From another page, another Safari cache clearing tutorial

BUT since you have the same issue with Chrome? Strange but that suggests clearing Chrome cache too.

I would agree excepting those who have replied here seem unable to reproduce it (??) so on balance of probabilities the problem appears to be on your device.

My last recommendation is to clear the browser cache in both Safari and Chrome, and the Mac cache(s) as described on the Tom’s guide.

Sorry I could not be more help but it is difficult solving a strange problem without having it.

As for your desire to ‘compare’, I thought to try going directly. But the page ‘Start Comparing Now’ links to is https://www.choice.com.au/money/insurance/health/compare/about-you that takes one back to where you started,probably for subscriber verification reasons :frowning: But just maybe it will display using that ‘route’?

1 Like

If all else is exhausted and still no joy, try a chat on Tuesday to get ‘connected’ to someone at Choice who might be able to assist (click the ‘Help’ lower right of the screen - that you hopefully see).

1 Like

The link is always in the item regarding the product/service. In this case the link posted took me straight to the comparison table for private health insurance.

Hi all,

So I think I have figured it out. Thanks to @syncretic who commented on rendering of the page - in particular the ‘Hello’ rather than ‘Hi my name’ in the header. I tried logging in using a iPad that I don’t own today and got the same results - which means the computer/cache/history isn’t the cause of the problem. It seems that there is something wrong with my on-line account.

I’ll send an email to Choice asking them to check - referring them to this conversation to see what the problem is. Ironically when I try to access the content without being logged in, I get the 2nd screen that @PhilT posted (the 'Join to compare now" screen shown above.

This isn’t the first problem I’ve had with the Choice Website, concerning when they are trying to push everyone online.

Thanks again for the help.

2 Likes

Thanks to you for posting some of the more obvious troubleshooting things you did that I missed suggesting, like using another device or account. Hopefully I’ll be a bit sharper if there is a next time.

Cheers, PhilT

I believe some memberships do not include online access, most do but some have remained magazine only or a new member has requested magazines only.

Nowadays when joining the options all include digital access unless the member contacts CHOICE to request to have magazines only.

3 Likes

Mine does - otherwise why would I have asked the initial question. Your comment is both belated and unnecessary.

I didn’t know your membership status nor as a volunteer Mod can I see their records, thank you for clarifying that you do have a current membership that includes digital access. Perhaps CHOICE systems in that case have an erroneous setting for your membership that is blocking your access, or your membership has not been renewed (a payment may have failed or the CHOICE system wrongly marks your membership as not renewed). You could ring them on the next available business day on the 1800 number listed in my post to rectify in a speedy manner any issue that is stopping you accessing the site as a member.

In the past there have been instances where mistakenly or not the system has refused access to subscription content based on what it sees as renewal status. Access to this Community website is no indication of CHOICE membership status. As an example of this

Have a great New Year holiday and I hope the year ahead will be a safe and happy one for us all.

3 Likes

For completeness the problem is solved. Choice looked at my online profile and worked out a recent email address change didn’t work properly, so normal service is resumed.

To those that were genuinely attempting to be helpful - thanks as you steered me in the right direction. For those that came in late with useless comments implying it was all my fault - maybe you should read the whole thread prior to providing your ‘helpful’ advice in the future.

1 Like