Induction cooktop review

Edit: New readers to the topic should note Choice linked articles always point to their most current update, not always the date shown on the preview of an older post. To join this topic as of September 2023 click here.

We’ve reviewed induction cooktops (member content) to help you find the best performing cooktops to install in your home. We also have a cooktop buying guide if you’re unsure of which one to choose and would like to look at the pros and cons of each type.

If you have experience cooking with induction cooktops, leave your thoughts in the comments below.

2 Likes

In the cooktop buying guide, one of the pros of gas over electric and induction is ability to use them during a blackout. While many new modern gas cooktops connect to mains power for ignition and other features, most will still work during a blackout if manually started with a match or lighter.

Even though our F&P gas cooktop has a flame out shutoff function, it can still be started manually and without mains power provided the burner is turned on as per usual (namely, the button is depressed the same time it is turned).

Blackouts may be important in rural areas at the end of distribution network or swer lines where blackouts or brown outs may be more regular. It may be a question to ask when buying if the cooktop will work during blackouts…note: the retailer may not know the answer, but the manufacturer may.

Also. most gas cooktops also allow natural gas (reticulated gas) or LPG fuel sources as well. The injection jets just need switching depending on the gas source. Check the right jets are available before purchase (F&P provided both sets in the packaging of the cooktop).

6 Likes

I have an Electrolux 700 mm induction cooktop and love it. It’s so fast (boils water quicker than my kettle) and controlling the heat is so instant - there’s no waiting for the hot plate to cool down when reducing the heat. It is divided into 4 cooking zones with a sensor in the middle. As long as the pot is touching the sensor there’s no restriction on the size of the pot, unlike other cooking surfaces. We had to have our switchboard checked by an electrician before installation to make sure the wiring could cope with the extra load as it does draw more power than our previous glass cooktop. I had to buy new stovetop frypans as my Swiss Diamond ones were not compatible but that was a small price to pay.
My son has a 900 mm Miele induction cooktop and while it is very good I find mine is quicker and can cook at a lower setting. I’m very happy and wouldn’t have anything else now.

3 Likes

I have an Electrolux 600mm Induction cooktop which I’ve had for a couple of years now.
I would have preferred gas but my wife has an issue with naked flames :expressionless:
I have to say though, I have been very impressed… it’s responsive, incredibly easy to clean and has not let me down at all.

3 Likes

I own a gas cooktop, but use induction regularly at family’s houses. The speed is amazing and can really catch you out if you’re not used to it.
The two things I’m not a huge fan of are managing spills (from not being quick enough to turn the heat down!) and trying to manage where the pans should sit. Pans also have a tendency to slide. These are the same problems I have with ceramic hot plates, although ceramic are a very poor cooking option if you have a choice, whereas induction are first class.

3 Likes

We’ve updated ourinduction cooktop review for 2019 (member content).

3 Likes

Could the standalone ones be reviewed or is there a link to them. For renters the portable/plugin ones may be an option when they can’t replace the current cooktop in their house or they may also be useful in a situation such as a failure of the current cooker, or even a camping trip where power to use one is available and thus avoid gas??

I have seen a few advertised on TV but as they are pure sales driven, no real test evidence other than them using the product is readily available.

4 Likes

Good point @grahroll. We review freestanding ovens (member content). I haven’t seen the ads but I think these are the ones? If not please let me know and I’ll do some further research.

1 Like

I think grahroll is referring to induction hobs, 2 of which we have here.

3 Likes

Ah, I see. I’ll have to put this one on our ‘request a test’ list :+1:

1 Like

Yes as @gordon noted the ones I am referring to are like the following (most of these images are from Kogan site the last two are from TVSN site):

image image image image image image

Some are also two element designs like these two (from Kogan site):
imageimage

4 Likes

Thanks @grahroll, appreciate the additional info :+1:

1 Like

Here’s our best brand cooktop for the year for those who might be interested (member content):

2 Likes

Testing of portable induction cooktops would be extremely helpful for low income earners in particular.

Many low income earners can only afford to rent older properties that only have electric stoves and end up with debt due to massive electricity bills or are forced to avoid cooking proper meals and eat processed foods. Portable gas stoves cannot be used safely indoors.

5 Likes

This has been raised on the site and certainly as replacement options when it is either too expensive or too hard eg renting they have been recommended here. Some links follow

4 Likes

As @grahroll pointed out there are other earlier requests for bench top / portable induction cooktops, so I have moved your post there to add to the requests.

4 Likes

In my previous house, because I had been used to the control offered by gas cooking I bought a Phillips induction cooktop HD4937 for much less than $200. It was really difficult to work out how to do basic tasks like boiling an egg but once I did that and ignored all the bells and whistles, it has been brilliant and done everything I had been led to believe an induction cooktop would do. It is as responsive as gas and the cooktop stays cool. Yes there is some residual heat from the hot water boiling in the saucepan on top but it has never been an issue.

In my new unit there is a brand new Omega OC64TZ cooktop (~$400). I tried it and was certainly underwhelmed. The Phillips has a range of heating between 100 and 2100 (whatever those figures actually mean). The Omega goes from 1 to 10 and even at 10 seems slow just boiling water - not much better than a conventional electric cooktop. The Omega was not as responsive as the Phillips and the hotplates seemed to stay hot for a long time - 15 minutes, perhaps more. I am not sure whether they are that hot for that long as it appears if the surface is above room temperature, it will still show as Hot.

So I looked at a Miele KM 7200 FR Induction Cooktop at $1699. Reading the manual, it does not seem to be any better than the Omega when I compare both to the Phillips.

The end result is that I will use the Phillips cooktop most of the time. I may find that the Omega cooktop is more useful than I expected but I doubt it.

6 Likes

Is it possible to add some indicative testing of power consumption or use by cooking various meals on one of the cooktops?

The purpose would be to give consumers a better understanding of the potential impact on electricity charges when using an induction cooktop.

The Commonwealth and States through their respective ministers have agreed to the industry transitioning residential supply charges from flat tariffs to ToU (time of use) and Demand. Most of us are likely to be cooking in the evening peak. It would be useful to demonstrate the difference in power consumed (peak usage and total) for some examples and the alternative use of a resistive heater cooktop.

There are also those like us with an all gas kitchen, and solar PV. The latest offerings from our retailer exclude a flat tariff. There are other providers. It would prove useful to be able to adjust any assumed future usage without a gas kitchen when looking at the considerable expense of converting to all electric. The typical maximum and boost powers for some of the Choice recommended induction cooktops are a cause for concern. Assume reality may be different - factually?

6 Likes

Water, rather than food, but still relevant

4 Likes

DOES anyone know how I can find out about induction cooktops regarding weight limits. I do natural dyeing, need a cooktop, and know that the portable induction items have a 6-7kg weight - that means no more than 6-7 Lt. water - I use up to 20Lt cook pots.

6 Likes