CHOICE membership

Induction cooktop review

We’ve reviewed induction cooktops (member content) to help you find the best performing cooktops to install in your home. We also have a cooktop buying guide if you’re unsure of which one to choose and would like to look at the pros and cons of each type.

If you have experience cooking with induction cooktops, leave your thoughts in the comments below.

2 Likes

In the cooktop buying guide, one of the pros of gas over electric and induction is ability to use them during a blackout. While many new modern gas cooktops connect to mains power for ignition and other features, most will still work during a blackout if manually started with a match or lighter.

Even though our F&P gas cooktop has a flame out shutoff function, it can still be started manually and without mains power provided the burner is turned on as per usual (namely, the button is depressed the same time it is turned).

Blackouts may be important in rural areas at the end of distribution network or swer lines where blackouts or brown outs may be more regular. It may be a question to ask when buying if the cooktop will work during blackouts…note: the retailer may not know the answer, but the manufacturer may.

Also. most gas cooktops also allow natural gas (reticulated gas) or LPG fuel sources as well. The injection jets just need switching depending on the gas source. Check the right jets are available before purchase (F&P provided both sets in the packaging of the cooktop).

6 Likes

I have an Electrolux 700 mm induction cooktop and love it. It’s so fast (boils water quicker than my kettle) and controlling the heat is so instant - there’s no waiting for the hot plate to cool down when reducing the heat. It is divided into 4 cooking zones with a sensor in the middle. As long as the pot is touching the sensor there’s no restriction on the size of the pot, unlike other cooking surfaces. We had to have our switchboard checked by an electrician before installation to make sure the wiring could cope with the extra load as it does draw more power than our previous glass cooktop. I had to buy new stovetop frypans as my Swiss Diamond ones were not compatible but that was a small price to pay.
My son has a 900 mm Miele induction cooktop and while it is very good I find mine is quicker and can cook at a lower setting. I’m very happy and wouldn’t have anything else now.

3 Likes

I have an Electrolux 600mm Induction cooktop which I’ve had for a couple of years now.
I would have preferred gas but my wife has an issue with naked flames :expressionless:
I have to say though, I have been very impressed… it’s responsive, incredibly easy to clean and has not let me down at all.

3 Likes

I own a gas cooktop, but use induction regularly at family’s houses. The speed is amazing and can really catch you out if you’re not used to it.
The two things I’m not a huge fan of are managing spills (from not being quick enough to turn the heat down!) and trying to manage where the pans should sit. Pans also have a tendency to slide. These are the same problems I have with ceramic hot plates, although ceramic are a very poor cooking option if you have a choice, whereas induction are first class.

3 Likes

We’ve updated ourinduction cooktop review for 2019 (member content).

3 Likes

Could the standalone ones be reviewed or is there a link to them. For renters the portable/plugin ones may be an option when they can’t replace the current cooktop in their house or they may also be useful in a situation such as a failure of the current cooker, or even a camping trip where power to use one is available and thus avoid gas??

I have seen a few advertised on TV but as they are pure sales driven, no real test evidence other than them using the product is readily available.

3 Likes

Good point @grahroll. We review freestanding ovens (member content). I haven’t seen the ads but I think these are the ones? If not please let me know and I’ll do some further research.

1 Like

I think grahroll is referring to induction hobs, 2 of which we have here.

2 Likes

Ah, I see. I’ll have to put this one on our ‘request a test’ list :+1:

1 Like

Yes as @gordon noted the ones I am referring to are like the following (most of these images are from Kogan site the last two are from TVSN site):

image image image image image image

Some are also two element designs like these two (from Kogan site):
imageimage

2 Likes

Thanks @grahroll, appreciate the additional info :+1:

1 Like

Here’s our best brand cooktop for the year for those who might be interested (member content):

2 Likes