I know its petty, but i think its misleading (Woolworths 5x 10x 20x points promotions)

"Offer available from 14/9/22 to 20/9/22 on selected denominations of gift cards listed, excluding Lorna Jane $50 Gift Card, in Woolworths Supermarkets and Woolworths Metro & scan your Everyday Rewards Card to collect 20x points , while stock last. "

When i see this on items that are 100% excluded from earning points such as Mobiles and Giftcards

It misleads customers that any other day spending that huge cost of $50 $100 $250 on those products tomorrow will earn a point per $1

I obviously got caught out on this buying cards that i would have otherwise purchased elsewhere under the expectation that promotation 20x 1 point
but apparently 20x 0 = 1000 or 2000

and Coles and Woolworths are hammering these obscure multipliers over the traditional 100 500 1000 2000 flat promotions and i expect it to get worse.

Historically Woolworths used the more honest
Earn x Number of points per special item

I am a bit confused. The conditions associated with the promotion is clear.

If you scan your Everyday Rewards Card when purchasing one of qualifying gift cards in the stated period, you get the relevant point multiplier promoted for that card.

For example if you purchased a Ultimate Kids, Ultimate Teens, Ultimate Home, Swap Food Delivery, Lorna Jane (excluding the $50 card), Ultimate Thanks or Restaurant Choice Gift Card to the value of $20, 400 points will be loaded onto your Everyday Rewards Card within 14 days of purchase. If you purchased a $50 card, 1000 points would loaded. within 14 days of purchase. This equates to a 10% discount if points are redeemed in the future.

If you don’t buy a qualifying card, don’t have a Everyday Rewards Card (or don’t use it for the purchase) or purchase the card outside the stated offer period, you won’t get the points multiplier benefit.

If you are concerned that you purchased say a card on the 13/09/2022 and missed the promotion period, then this no different to say purchasing something to only find out it was cheaper if you waited an extra day before purchasing.

While it may or may not apply to this promotion, I have noticed that with supermarket promotions, they often now require one to install their app and accept some promotions through the app. The redeeming of the offer is no longer automatic.

So, to achieve some bonus points or multipliers, it is becoming more common that one needs to:

• have a loyalty card
  • install the loyalty card app
  • accept the promotional offer in the app
  • purchase only the qualifying items within the promotional period
  • scan the loyalty card on purchase
  • wait a few days/weeks for the points to be loaded onto the card.
6 Likes

The point of confusion is caused by the wording of the promotion. Normally the purchase of gift cards does not provided any rewards points. With an offer of “20 x points”, this should mean that you would still get no points in the promotion period, as 20 times zero is zero.

It is likely that the promotion is meant to be “receive 20 points for every dollar spent on qualifying gift cards”.

3 Likes

This is still the case, that gift cards don’t earn standard points and points awarded are only those under the promotional offer. The full promotion T&Cs state this clearly

Offer available from 14/9/22 to 20/9/22 on selected denominations of gift cards listed, excluding Lorna Jane $50 Gift Card, in Woolworths Supermarkets and Woolworths Metro & scan your Everyday Rewards Card to collect 20x points, while stock last. Excludes Woolworths Online, Ampol Woolworths MetroGo and Metro60. Standard points will not be earned on the amount spent on gift cards, but the relevant number of bonus points which you qualify for under this offer. Bonus points can take up to 14 business days to be loaded onto your Everyday Rewards Card from the date of purchase. Refer to individual cards for their terms and conditions. Limit of 10 cards per transaction and one transaction per day per Rewards Member.

It is possibly poorly worded, but not misleading. The 20 x points applies to the value of the gift card
not 0 points which is usually the case. The wording ‘Standard points will not be earned on the amount spent on gift cards, but the relevant number of bonus points which you qualify for under this offer’ is taken that standard points ($1 for 1 point) doesn’t apply. But $1 for 20 points under the promotional offer.

It would have been easier for them possibly to say bonus points awarded will be 20x the value of the gift card.

2 Likes

No in-fact is does NOT mention the word $1 / per dollar / or equal to value of card anywhere in clearly states 20x points (this will imply 20x the standard circumstance)
You like many have made the assumption which proves my statement

It is not about the duration of the promotion it about the misrepresentation of the value offer outside of the offer period.

IE offer clearly says 20x points while not declaring in clear that is NOT 20x the standard offering but a special temporary value of 20x the cards value

Therefore after the promotion this creates an unfair interpretation that every other day you can expect to earn $100 is 2000 divided by 20 (100 point, 1 per $1)

PS Coles does give FlyBuys points on giftcards outside of promotions

It is possibly poorly worded, but not misleading.

Ps I should have mentioned, Woolworths runs many 3x 5x 15x points in items from fresh food to dog food but these do not have a printed face value like a card, they are based on the base rewards 1x.

certainly misleading in that creates misconceptions even multiple posters have made assumption that doesn’t match the wording.

Usually $ rewards $ spent, x points per $ bonus per $, double puts per $
Including at Woolworths 1 point or $ except for giftcards and mobile

I really don’t want other companies imitating the woolworths statements.

f you don’t buy a qualifying card, don’t have a Everyday Rewards Card (or don’t use it for the purchase) or purchase the card outside the stated offer period, you won’t get the points multiplier benefit.

Exactly multiplier would have a floor value, such as 1- not 0, you cannot multiple the outside period for anything. Other x times advertising around Woolworths regular points

There was a deliberate marketing move from the previous flat 1000 points for $50 and 2000 points for $100 promotions to 5x 10x 20x. but why there was a decision there must have a motive of some sort no business makes change unless it can lead to increased market share and sales
A professional marketing will want wants to boost sales of gift cards outside of the sales period at minimal cost.
The subtle misleading statement 20x points clearly convinces that 1x points will be earned outside the window of sales, you will lose out when buying outside the promotional period.

Speaking of marketing
while not strictly related to your case Carlos, I find it very eerie that some years ago I stopped using my Everyday Rewards card (ERC) - that is, did not bring the ERC to the store, did not scan it and did not use it online - which previously I used mostly in conjunction in store with a particular credit card, yet to this day I receive emails from Woolies about offers from the ERC. Nothing outrageous, so far.

But from time to time I receive email offers mirroring my recent in-store purchases.
It seems that Woolworths tracks my and other customers’ shopping via their credit card even when they stopped using the ERC, which surely must indicate the customer has lost interest in the rewards program.

This was a focus on 20 Dec 2021 when Choice published " What are loyalty schemes like Flybuys and Everyday Rewards doing with your data"?

Data can be collected with or without a loyalty card

To understand just how far the data collection can extend, consider that Flybuys may track purchasing behaviour and transaction activities of loyalty scheme members when they shop at Coles, even if they don’t scan their loyalty card, because they link payment card details to the member profile.

The same goes for Woolworths’ Rewards scheme, which links payment data with profiles.

CHOICE believes that even despite disclosures in terms and conditions or privacy policies, consumers probably don’t realise their data is being collected and used by supermarkets even when they don’t scan their loyalty cards.

We recommend that loyalty schemes end the practice of automatically linking payment card information to loyalty scheme profiles, arguing that decreasing privacy can harm consumer welfare and increased profiling risks discrimination and exclusion, ultimately lowering consumer trust.

I wonder, has there been any movement at the (ACCC) station?

1 Like

That’s

If that’s true, the whole loyalty fraud is just unethical if in fact your credit card is linked and stored to match a digital identity
you should not have to go to the effort of scanning.

The moral response should be no need to scan at all to be rewarded for what they earn from you :frowning:

The marketing aspect about scanning and ‘boosting’ is to reassure the wonderful marketeers that you the customer have indeed read their ‘valuable promotion’. If you then buy something included in the ‘valuable promotion’ it is an even bigger tick.

Wollies started the points boosters for specific products and it must work a treat since Coles is following along these days, including the need to activate them.

1 Like

Its all a trap for the unwary. Never buy anything you were not intending to buy.

2 Likes

I don’t read the conditions as such, Woolworths state:

I take this is you can’t (normally) earn standard points, but can earn bonus points under the offer.

Irrespective of this, the promotion of 20x points is only available during the promotion period (14/9/22 to 20/9/22).

I anticipate that Woolworths has negotiated with the gift card businesses to provide discounts based on points issued. This is likely to be the case as Lorna Jane has excluded $50 gift cards
 they might be unwilling to offer 10% discounts on all their products. I haven’t checked their gift card T&S, but a work-around might be buy multiple cards if multiple cards can be used on the same purchase.

Edit: For those who are interested, this is a image of the promotion in question:

The ‘Collect 20x Points’ has a # indicating what the terms are associated with the offer. The 20x does not indicate usual or standard points. The # terms clarify that the offer is under the promotion. While they could have used different wording as outlined above, the outcome of the offer and the points after the offer ceases would still be the same.

1 Like

Irrespective of this, the promotion of 20x points is only available during the promotion period (14/9/22 to 20/9/22 ).

well at the end of the day no other loyalty program represent a special offer in syntax of 20x the normal 0

all others use syntax of x point , $x , x% per dollar spent

Sure, your itemized purchases can be tracked by the card you use for payment. And emails can be sent out to you about offers. After all, you have a registered rewards card associated with the payment methods you have used.
If you don’t scan your reward card, then any points won’t accrue. That’s all.

1 Like

We’ve had the store customer data sharing cards since inception. The best deal though was the long gone shareholder discount schemes offered by several including Woolworths.

When we shop at Woolies or the local IGA we save time by not researching or keeping up with the special offers. If what we use often is on special we buy extra. Mostly I take the $10 or $20 off a shop when it accrues. The points have over time become less valuable and flight rewards more expensive.

It may come as no surprise neither of us were aware Woolies do not normally give points for gift cards. Did they ever?

1 Like

Well therein lies a flaw to the determine of the consumer and the advantage of the retailer.

If the retailer chooses to track my purchases, which by not using the ERC, I am implying I do not want to be tracked - and tracking is clearly to the retailer’s benefit - then surely the retailer must be compelled to assign my every rewards point I am due for those purchases.

After all, it is benefiting from its data on me and can easily credit my regards balance with or without me using my ERC, if it so chose or if it was so compelled.

True, but the marketers are to be saluted for correctly estimating the gullibility, naivety and downright stupidity of so many customers who truly feel there is such a thing as loyalty driven benefits that are cost-free.

And for doing that, those marketers are handsomely compensated, indirectly by the mugs they manipulate.

1 Like