Huawei cyber vulnerabilities

Evidence? Apart from a change.org petition I mean.

That is exactly what I was referring to.

A bunch of assorted loonies who are prepared to make such preposterious claims to try to scare the gullible to support their lunatic ā€œcauseā€.

Just like the anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists idiots.

1 Like

Perhaps this is on the money.

While there are wider geopolitical issues at play, it is clear that @Fred123 and @SueW (and no doubt others) are never going to agree.

A discussion strictly focused on the banning of Huawei products at least had some consumer relevance (those products wonā€™t be available to consumers, with both benefits and costs to the consumer as a result).

At least, if forum participants want to debate the above change.org petition, please fork the topic. Iā€™ll happily jump in - but the new topic may get closed either due to, um, ā€œpassionā€ or due to lack of relevance.

1 Like

Did I say anything about Huawei? I didnt think I didā€¦ I was wanting to know where that arms race crap came from. As it happens, I quite like Huawei prroducts, I still have one of their early android phones. As to whether its a good or bad idea to ā€œbanā€ them in terms of communications networksā€¦ maybeā€¦ but they make good productā€¦

3 Likes

I donā€™t think it has ever been about quality1 or price. Depending on whom you believe, it is about

• US protectionism
  • Iran embargo
  • tech companies being subject to mandatory backdoor legislation in their home country, or even in other countries

1 If I recall correctly, earlier on in this topic, there are some claimed quality issues in a particular model of Huawei equipment as intended to be deployed inside the UK mobile network. However your comment would have been about consumer-level equipment.

4 Likes

It would be remiss not to add the following report that fills in some of the details. Forbes is generally a reliable source but tech is less their business than business and politics. For what it is worth.

2 Likes

Interesting stuff!