HP printers and cheap printer ink

I am using a Canon MG5560. This printer seems to spend a lot of time making noises, and being unusable for that time, presumably it is head cleaning. Here is the scam: If I try to print several pages in Draft i.e. using less ink, the type becomes scrambled and is unreadable. Have Canon built this in to ensure that the maximum amount of ink is used?
One or two pages print as usual.

More local press:

1 Like

Seems HP have responded 

links to:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/hp-news/blog/Small-Business-Printing/best-possible-printing-experience.html

Typical weasel words, doublespeak and misdirection - IP, security 
 really all HP is doing is protecting their revenue stream.

Imagine if our car company insisted we use their own brand petrol and other consumables? Imagine if your saucepan company, to preserve their brand reputation as one who cooks the tastiest food, insisted you use only their brand broccoli?

Give HP a break. Using their ink is a serious security issue - for their executive bonuses and shareholder dividends! (and why I don’t and won’t have an HP printer.)

1 Like

I agree with meltam6554, we are in the same boat and yes, it is no more than a nuisance with the pop-up warnings. My son, fortunately is a programmer, reinstalled the printer the other day, however, the pop-up messages have not stopped, but until the printer does stop recognising the cartridges, we’ll continue to use the cartridges currently in the printer. We are very, very pleased to have Choice investigate this matter and it will be excellent to hear the outcome.

1 Like

My HP printer had these issues despite having "genuine " hp cartridges from Dick Smith and Harvey Norman.

I haven’t used any third party cheaper inks in my HP printer but only bought the HP printer after using a third party ink in my Epson printer. The Epson printer has never worked ever since loading the third party ink into the printer. This issue is not subject to HP alone!

1 Like

I think maybe a report on the quality of some of the generic in brands may be in order .I’ve used Generic cartridges from Cartridge World in my printers , Epsom and HP . Never had a problem . I am rather a heavy printer user too so any probs would show up quickly .

The printer I had before the one I have now was an HP but I gave it away when I realised that a new printer was going to be cheaper than restocking the ink when it ran out. Also, I kept getting messages that the ink cartridges were low when they were far from low. I have heard from others that this is a “trick” that HP use to push people into buying more ink more often.

I didn’t try to use non HP ink with the printer although a guy that runs a printer ink refill shop told me that the refilled cartridges would work fine.

Many users think there is something sinister about the low ink warnings, but.

The low ink warning is not premature. They publish it early so you can order new inks without stressing out. When you are warned of low ink you usually have 1-4 weeks of normal printing to get new carts in hand, model and use dependent. Since ink has a shelf life and the satisfaction guarantees for new carts are usually 1-3 months, do you want to stock inks on the shelf until whenever you might need them, or have to run to the shop immediately, hoping it is not after business hours?

Order carts when you get the low ink message and replace the cart as soon as the printer stops when out of ink, and it will stop when the ink runs dry. Do not let it sit for hours or days with an empty ink or you can dry the print head.

1 Like

We have had 3 HP printers and whilst the machine was under warranty were told that any other cartridges would null and void the warranty - however now ours are out of warranty we use the generic ink from Cartridge World and have had no issues whatsoever.

1 Like

I have been using refillable cartridges in my HP6520 since I bought it some years ago. It keeps reminding of that fact but works very well.

You can use 3rd party inks in these at your own risk of output quality and reliability. The manufacturer makes these devices, software and ink to obtain a specific colour output mixing their inks, you throw that out of the window when a put a 3rd party colour in there, and then try to use your own software to adapt the image to get the colour right or the ink runs, or needs higher quality paper to get an good image. Don’t blame the printer if you’re using 3rd party inks. My guess is there is a heap more ongoing R&D associated with ink and printers than there is with Chanel No 5. Consumer choice though, up to you.

HP won’t tell you that, but they will advise you that the warranty will not cover any repairs that are required that are identified as being a directly result of use of non HP ink. They can neither warrant the quality or suitability of a 3rd party product being put through their devices, and quite frankly why should they? Why pay top dollar for HP who put billions into R&D for imaging software, hardware and ink and then take the lifeblood out of it. If it was that easy why aren’t these ink makers making printers and developing imaging software and drivers?

I’m not sure that the manufacturers of CISS can blame HP driver updates for them not having a viable business, can they really? Besides, printer vendors have to continuously update drivers because they have to support all of the operating systems changes from all providers. I think you’d be more concerned about breach of fair trade if they said “sorry, we have no intention of building a driver for the new OS on your brand new printer now you’ve upgraded to windows XXX”

Have you considered that firmware updates fix system errors, bugs, and add new features - this is mainly to the benefit of the consumer. Maybe the conspiracy here is the manufactures of the chip on the 3rd party ink vendors product - it seems that is where the incompatibility lies, why should the vendor waste money on R&D that ensures compatibility with non genuine inks. Why is it that the older vendor inks still seem to work just fine after the firmware upgrade?

I’m so sorry, who are you listening to? The warnings are early, yes, they are designed so to give you time to organise a new one before it stops working. Each printer owner users their printer differently and the same warning can be only one or two days for one user but a week or more for others. Hp doesn’t force you to buy the ink, it provides you with the necessary notice that you need to run a business or home office without being caught short.

The man selling the refill said it would work fine. ok, it probably will keep printing - after all you bought an HP device, but what is their gaurentee if it doesn’t? Wil they replace the printer, clean it, or just replace your inks? What you’re passing up is one of the very reasons you buy an HP branded printer - build quality, reliability, imaging quality and colour matching - they put billions of R&D into just that every year. What about your refill man?

Its your choice.

What if the cook gave you his recipe and you used all different ingredients just because the colours looked similar but the end results meant the consistency, texture and taste was different - do you blame the chef?

There are reports out there, mainly commissioned by the printers vendors but run by 3rd party analysts. The global brands are tied to manufacturing standards and stringently tested against any claims - e.g. yields. Generally the most common issues with 3rd party inks are colour output mismatch, faded text, leaks, smudging - particuarly when duplex printing -leading to a higher requirement to reprint, lower than expected yields. 3rd party are much less accountable for their product than the vendor.

For that, you should call HP directly and there is no reason why they shouldn’t repair or replace your device (or the inks). The inks do have a warranty life printed on the side. Worth checking before you buy.