How to safely remove a tick from your cat or dog

An article regarding ticks and how to remove them.

I was quite surprised regarding the advice that the head of a tick cannot break off, contrary to everything I have previously heard.

Our previous dog, a female Miniature Poodle, was almost killed by a paralysis tick when she was a puppy just over 20 years ago, and was then too young to wear a tick & flea collar, given anti-tick medication, or bathed in anti-tick chemicals used back then.

Our new puppy has been on NexGard Spectra since he arrived home so that any ticks which attack him will be killed instead.

Poetic justice for paralysis ticks.

4 Likes

@Fred123, I hope you don’t mind, I thought this deserved its own topic so I moved it here :+1:

3 Likes

I’m still waiting for the human tick collar or tablet. Apparently we can’t use the same system for personal protection.

One instance where we take better care of our pets than ourselves? :dog:

Although we are a little more adept at removal.

3 Likes

I’ve always wondered that. You can apply a flea treatment to a dog that lasts 6 months, but if you want to get lice off a kid you have to do the whole wash everyone in the house with treatment routine

4 Likes

I don’t get so many ticks that I feel the need. However if you had one for politicians or salesmen I would buy.

I have a surplus of ticks, and can arrange delivery vis bandicoot if required. :innocent:

More importantly attached ticks and tasting nibbles tend to now cause quite a serious immediate infection for me. Think egg sized lumps and extreme symptoms. You would think ticks could work this out and bugger off.

My GP made a number of alternate suggestions. The advice in the original referenced article is consistent.

Early detection and removal would seem key. The first sign may be the feeling of a short sharp pin prick of the skin or burning sensation, then nothing. Any feeling of a bite when in tick prone areas should be promptly investigated. I now often remove many ticks easily before serious harm and full embedment.

Ticks bring all sorts of nasties, with advice to see a GP promptly if there is ant sign of infection around the bite.

A good spray of tropical strength repelant on clothing and around ankles, waste and any other openings mostly works too.

I guess you need to check yourself the same and as often as your pets?

2 Likes

…check your partner…very carefully…