How to make your own yoghurt?

Making yoghurt is actually fairly simple. My Mum(RIP) used to make it for me & my siblings when we were kids, at a time when good yoghurt was really hard to get in the shops. Invest in a good quality food thermometer to begin with, then have some fun googling “yoghurt making” until you find a method that suits you best. My two personal tips are these:

1. First buy your favourite yoghurt & use that as your starter base if you want to end up with a product that you’ll like; that way you’ll be less likely to waste it. And full fat milk is ALWAYS best for a nicer tasting yoghurt, as well as a much nicer texture. Skim milk just doesn’t do it, (for me anyway)
  2. Once you’ve made your yoghurt, take the time to strain it to get a higher protein “Greek” style yoghurt, but don’t waste the whey; it makes REALLY nice ricotta cheese, & you can also use it in which to store feta cheese for longer, & to prevent it from drying out.
    Cheers
2 Likes

Another tip: mix some powdered full-cream milk into the milk before making the yoghurt. It comes out thick and creamy, similar to Greek style, with no draining required.

2 Likes

Over been doing that for years🙂
I use 2 cultures rather than commercial yoghurt, you only need a tiny speck of them to make 2 litres of yoghurt.
If you keep using the previous batch as starter, over several iterations the flavour will change, not in a good way, due to different bacteria becoming dominant, so best not to go beyond 3 before using new bacteria or commercial yoghurt to start.

3 Likes