How safe is your pram?

Consumers are spending up to $1699 on prams that have major safety failures. In fact, CHOICE’s recent prams review found 64 of the 92 strollers tested failed major safety tests.

What do you look for when buying prams - cost, safety, all of the above, or something else?

I looked at durability, flexibility of the item, reputation of the brand, and functionality. I don’t tend to be suckered into marketing speak and tend to focus quite objectively on the features of the pram. I also look at the inclusions for the price and the cost of the accessories. The pram I purchased included rain covers and a nappy bag. Often these things are an additional $70 or so.
(We purchased a Jané Twone- not a hugely well know brand in Australia but we’re very happy with it)

1 Like

Nice one. Thanks for the info, Eliza

We looked at functionally and whether it fitted our needs. We walk a lot (regularly up to 10km walk on both hard surfaces and well maintained gravel tracks) so we looked at able to handle gravel/slight uneven surfaces and ease of pushing on these surfaces.

Second was the wheels/tyres (preferred pneumatic to solid) and larger diameter (to reduce flicking and wandering wheels on uneven surfaces.

Third was whether the pram would suit our child from birth until the pram was no longer needed (back folds flat to allow for sleeping and support given in the sitting position). The restraint system was a consideration - if it was adjustable both in length and back height, and the type of catch - robust but not easy for a toddler to undo.

On pram storage was possible the final consideration. Ease of filling, number and capacity. This is important for carrying water bottles, spare clothing and cloth nappies.

Once we knew what we were after we bought a second hand one rather than spending top dollar for a new one.

1 Like

A thorough check! Thanks for the info.

Stability (doesn’t center of gravity not too high on narrow base), easy to adjust straps (so it’s not too much bother to adjust when in a hurry), fabrics that can go straight in the washing machine, flexibility (forward and parent facing, adjustable seat).
For walking we have a large wheeled 3 wheeler, stable and easy to push. Also have a light to lift into the car fully flexible stroller, and a heavier larger wheel version too. Bought the light one when back was bad. Umbrella stroller for flights.
All but the fancy lighter stroller were second hand. I couldn’t go past the quick release harness on the new model, less bending over to fiddle when my back was sore.

1 Like

Prams and strollers still failing safety tests, highlighting the need for stronger product safety laws.

1 Like