How easy is it to use unit pricing in the supermarket?

Thanks for drawing attention to this. I’ll check tomorrow how the these are priced instore at Woolies. I expect them to be per kg.
I also expected that online Woolies would be doing the same as Coles (see attached pic)

i.e. giving an estimated price per each but also showing the price per kg and using that to calculate the final price when the weight is known.
Woolworths also seems to be not doing this for other loose products such as apples and pears. I thought they used to.
Maybe someone can remember whether they used to or can provide some more info? For example, when assembling the order might they may still be weighing the actual product sold and charging based on weight and price per kg?
Not using or providing the same unit of measure for pricing all items of a product sold loose and prepackaged defeats the purpose of unit pricing which is to make it easy for consumers to compare prices and values. And, as discussed here many times, the same problem occurs when different units of measure are used for different items of a product within a selling method e.g. loose apples unit priced per each/per kg/per 100g and prepackaged tea bags unit priced per each/per kg/per 100g.

1 Like

I actually bought a medium sized sweet potato at our local Coles this afternoon, and whilst their website shows $4.90/kg, the shelf price sign displayed $4.00/ kg which is what it scanned at, 474 gms for $1.90.

I overlooked checking them at Woollies so I did not get to check how they scammed, oops, scanned at the self servive check out.

Loose gold sweet potato was $4.90/kg loose at a Brisbane Woolworths supermarket today. Was also that price at Coles supermarket and Coles online. Maybe your local Coles y’day was late in changing the price from $4/kg to $4.90/kg?
I’ll wait and see if anyone has any info about what occurs now (and used to occur), before I contact Woolies about their online pricing and charging for such loose items.
I like the Coles approach of providing an estimate of the likely cost of one item of the product and the price per kg that will be used when the final cost is calculated after all the items of the product have been weighed.

2 Likes

Curious about what today’s wholesale prices are at the Brisbane Markets.

One source suggests Sweet Potatoes Gold $1.50-$1.80 per kg, adequate supply, some carry over. (32L carton price most sales).

Yes, Woolies may have a long term contract supplier or have purchased at last weeks pricing.

P.S.
I went looking for a long term pricing (all varieties). Not quite current. Australia produce 93kt fresh in 2018 valued at $85M. IE $0.91/kg.