How easy is it to use unit pricing in the supermarket?

Interesting thread - thanks, @ijarratt. You may have intended to include the link, but I tracked it down. For other curious minds it can be found at:

Barcode Scan Price Errors

So far it has posts commencing in July 2016, while the most recent was made in July 2017 - making for quite a lengthy read even without my participation :wink:. (I am not saying that my posts here are verbose, but I am not saying that they are not verbose.)

In summary [cough] , it appears that Woolworths, Coles and Aldi all have policies based upon the Supermarket Code of Conduct, stating that:

1. If an item scans for a price higher than was marked on the shelf, it is free.
  2. If a customer is buying more than one item affected by point one, the first item is free and subsequent items are to be charged at the lower price.

It appears that certain item types may not be eligible for this policy, and there may be other limitations. In a post on 04 April, @Raym stated that Coles applied a maximum item value of $50, and exempted the following items from this policy (I cannot vouch for this list, but quote it as useful information from the other thread):

• Items without a barcode or PLU
  • Third Party Gift Cards
  • Tobacco or Liquor products

Interestingly, I have found (as have several posters in that thread) that staff knowledge of these policies - in a wide range of ‘fine shopping establishments’ - is incredibly varied. I have plenty of experience in correcting staff at the local supermarket when they start typing in the ‘discounted’ price, and while some staff quickly correct their mistake others look at me blankly before figuring that it’s just easier to do what I’m saying, or wander off to find a supervisor who has a clue.

The local Coles has never turned down my insistence on applying their policies - but I don’t know whether this is because they know what they’re doing, or simply because they can imagine the kind of loud, business-unfriendly tantrum that would result from a ‘wrong answer’.

4 Likes