House Brand Groceries: Good, Bad, or Indifferent

Why would the pink salmon be inferior?
Is selling pink salmon in a can and calling it red salmon legal, and would this happen in Australia?
Are all wild caught red salmon the same shade of red?

Which is better?
King salmon,
Or
Sockeye salmon.

As an added challenge one source suggests they would not choose pink or red as being better than the other. The same source recommends pink their pink salmon as better suited to fresh salads? Which source might that be?

Few on a cask budget can afford a Grange diet. Which cardboard offers the best red at the right price? Colour variation acceptable. :wink:

Pink Salmon is a different species, and whether you catch it yourself or open a tin it lacks the flavour of Red Salmon and its texture is mushier. And then there is the vexed question of ā€œpresentationā€ā€¦

One for Choiceā€™s legal eagles! Iā€™m guessing youā€™re imagining a dodgy cannery using some kind of artificial colouring to make the cheaper species look like the more expensive one, and hoping we salmon consumers will be like wine buffs drinking cask red out of a Grange bottle and waxing lyrical about how the wine is well worth the extortionate price!!

In my limited experience, Red Salmon are not all the same shade of red, but theyā€™re all a great deal redder than any Pink Salmon. I donā€™t think texture varies with colour ā€“ Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s a species thing.

I donā€™t know what King salmon and Sockeye salmon are. Are they American names for what I know as Pink Salmon and Red Salmon?

Iā€™m guessing your source is @syncretic, or someone like him. De gustibus non est disputandum. But I must say that a fresh salad is precisely where I most prefer Red Salmon to Pink Salmon, and so did my late mother.

I live on less than the dole, so salmon of any colour is a rare treat for me (and a reason why I buy generics, or at least only buy brand names when they are on a very good special at the supermarket).

Really enjoying this thread and the knowledge of many posters. I canā€™t imagine I will change my habits which are a mix of brand names for things I like e.g Fountain tomato sauce but generic for sugar etc. I have a preference for supporting Oz products if I can e.g Ardmona but have a natural aversion to no name products as a rule however erroneously. While I am willing to make changes based on this thread, I need a definitive list to read! I know there have been past ones and I think one is linked above somewhere. Funnily enough, I bought some expensive dried Italian pasta on the weekend from a gourmet fruit shop to save time but definitely not money. Followed the timing on packet to a t but it was under cooked which I should have checked but didnā€™t. A complete contrast to above findings.

1 Like

We blindly follow the cooking times suggested on the package of any food item to our peril! Itā€™s very easy to pick up a bit of pasta and decide if itā€™s cooked to our taste or not. :laughing:
Iā€™ll just mention that any pasta dishes served in the hotelā€™s restaurant in Rome were very undercooked to all of my fellow travellers taste and to mine.
Maybe based on the theory that undercooked would be better received than ā€˜softā€™? :joy:

2 Likes

More the horses head as they say, or in this instance perhaps the salmon. You are welcome to enjoy your choice of salmon as you like it.

Our preferences often have consequences that we too easily over look. Seafood is resource that is under considerable pressure from habitat loss, changing environment and fisheries demand. Whether a product is more in demand because of marketing and false or vague attributes is always worth questioning. Especially when a premium can be obtained for little extra outlay.

Being more accepting of a wider variety of product can have benefits. Sockeye is the common name of the species of Pacific (North American) salmon most often sold as canned red salmon by JW, Woolies Brands etc. The resource is not infinite.

King salmon, also commonly referred to as Chinook salmon is arguably the most desired of the North American Pacific salmon fishery species. Itā€™s listed.
ā€˜Chinook Salmon

Iā€™m comfortable knowing the salmon in a can of Woolies or Coles Red Salmon is the same fish from the same wild caught fishery as JW, Paramount etc.

Agreed! I certainly taste for al dente with regular supermarket pasta. Really donā€™t know why I didnā€™t except that it was an unusual shape that I wasnā€™t familiar with. Still should have!

There will be many in the Choice Community who can relate first hand experience of pasta cooked in Italy, or better have that heritage to share.

My observation and taste testing suggest no one in Italy cooks using a time piece. There is some holy alignment between the state of the boiling water in the pasta pot, the intensity of the bubble and steam, and the ongoing reaction of the pasta every good pasta cook is intuitively and subconsciously aligned too.

The one universal observation is that the pasta is cooked in a very large and tall for its size pot on a very high heat. The volume of contained water should be relatable to that of a biblical flood, and the water never go off a vigorous boil, even as the pasta is deployed to itā€™s wild waters.

Hence if we are commenting on whether one pasta is better than another, itā€™s important to cookout right. A quality pasta will become a lesser product if not cooked as intended.

P.S.
A Wok burner on gas or equivalent power in electric might also be helpful.

Iā€™m sure you have your tongue firmly in your cheek ā€“ tasting that delicious John West Red Salmon perhaps! ā€“ in quoting a rapacious capitalist corporation as authority for anything!! :wink:

I love the fact that they make the claim for culinary equality for Pink Salmon with the introductory phrase ā€œin an alternative kitchenā€ ā€“ in an alternative universe, maybe!

You make some excellent points about the environmental issues ā€“ I wish I could claim that my non-consumption of salmon of any colour, name brand or generic, was a product of my environmental concerns and not my household budget.

I donā€™t suppose you know anything about Australian-farmed smoked trout (as distinct from farmed salmon, which does seem to be something of an environmental disaster)? Does it make any difference whether it comes from the Goulburn River or from the Snowy Mountains (assuming those two different brands, one in Woolies and one in Coles, do reflect different sources and not just the same fish in different packaging)?

And of course donā€™t forget the premium paid by named brands for shelf position in Colesworth to ensure proximity to eye and hand results in purchase by those of us who have neither the time or the inclination to bend or stretch