Hot Cross Buns Review - Which ones are your favourites?

Seeing as we’re heading into peak hot cross bun season, here’s our updated taste test:

7 Likes

I shudder when i see references to chocolate hot cross buns… when did they become a thing? Can’t imagine anything worse.

9 Likes

Possibly due to my penchant for chocolate, I like the Aldi ones, and I would have rated the WW Cadbury chocolate buns higher.

5 Likes

I saw these ones advertised the other day:

I am not sure whether the flavourings have been pushed beyond their limits. I suppose it gives a new meaning to ‘hot’.

5 Likes

I agree; going savoury is a step too far.

5 Likes

Revolting. That’s worse than choc buns.

2 Likes

A minimum of 25% fruit is one gold standard.
It’s difficult to judge the quantity in a bun. The Choice taste test reveals some disappointing products.

I’ve thought about making my own, and wondering how healthy or not the store products are. The more fruit the healthier? Although I’m not a fan of cranberries included in some bun mixes. A very average fruit with greater than deserved marketing spin, and inedible without added sugar, IMO?

A starting point. :rofl:

2 Likes

in order that I can reply I have to write a complete sentence
Hear is my reply

TOO RIGHT!!

1 Like

Anything to make a “sale!”

1 Like

Bakers Delight. The proper ones

3 Likes

Oddly, I prefer the Coles ones to any of the others I’ve had. Just enough fruit, not desperately high in carbs, and for my taste, PDG

4 Likes

Agree Coles are better. ( were last years winners - by Choice )
Found Aldi ones dry and chewy!

4 Likes

A.P. Bread

2 Likes

Looking at the various ingredients ie: sugars mainly and the various oils I do believe I will make my own. None of them appeal to me at all.

5 Likes

I don’t like dried fruit so never ate HCB growing up until they came in plain or chocolate in more recent times.

I am a prolific home baker and the only time I see true disappointment is at Easter when I have made Choc HCB and everyone is always asking for regular raisin. I tell them I don’t make things I don’t like to eat. I can’t deny I get a little bit of a kick out of the power play haha

4 Likes

Same here! I would politely refuse to have any as a child. I’m delighted to see
that there’s a choice now!

3 Likes

Welcome @grahamdarling!
Good idea to bake our own, we can then be sure that the ingredients we put in suit our diet and our taste.

4 Likes

Woolworths have provided a list of Hot Cross Bun recipes. Not many of them about making Hot Cross Buns, most are ideas using them:

Don’t be confused by the link header it should take you to the recipes (I tested it before posting it here).

Ultimate Hot Cross Bun Guide | Discover Easter at Woolworths

2 Likes

I love unsweetend cranberries. I sprinkle a few on my breakfast cereal. Not sure they belong in hot cross buns though.

1 Like