Hearing Aids

My wife was quoted over $10K for a set of top of the line BTE aids. When we pointed out that another local supplier’s price was under $8K, that price was matched. So we would support a Choice investigation, including bases for choice of device, other than ability to pay.

5 Likes

It would be great if Choice could look into this issue - both in terms of pricing in Australia and also road (ear) testing the available brands and models. I suffer from industrial deafness and get by well enough but would prefer to use a hearing aid. The prices I was quoted by the audiologist were ridiculous and the difficulties experienced by my mother in having tuned properly them and their overall effectiveness have put me right off. We are an aging population so I think this would be a subject many Australians would be interested in. Choice did do a review in 2016, https://www.choice.com.au/health-and-body/optical-and-hearing/hearing/buying-guides/hearing-aids, however this was very basic and, in my view, the content basically mirrored that which you would find on a manufacturer’s website. In fairness they did touch on buying on-line but is was quite wishy-washy i.e. “shop around”. I hope this thread encourages Choice to take this issue to another level. How good are they; does more expensive mean better and why are they so expensive locally?

4 Likes

If you are in WA & want face to face I purchased from Value Hearing in Ardross. I will not say they are cheap but only because I don’t think “anyone” in Aus is. I also just have a fundamental problem with H/A cost as a product in general when I just see them really as a mic,speakers, chip & software - certainly less sophisticated than a smartphone. BUT I guess miniaturisation costs a bomb.

I do think in comparison to their competitors in the Aussie market VH are better than most & worlds better than many. They did have prices readily available for a long time but after much fighting finally caved to threats of supplier blockaid if they didn’t “toe” the line. I believe they will still happily give you a price list if asked.

I first went to a competitor with flash advertising & marketing spiel & was looking at $8k for their “recommendations” after a test at a desk in an office with an open window & all the ambient noise pollution including nearby traffic. I have a military background & knew that that level of audio testing was complete BS. So I went researching & came up with VH. They do a very thorough testing with a range of equipment including sound booth & styles of testing to not only test your basics but also your ability to compensate.

Bottom line is I ended up very happy, confident that I got good value (again speaking relatively in comparison to others not value per se) & a pair of aides that suited my needs to a tee for around $4k.

Don’t get me wrong - I’m not saying VH are wonderful & the only trustworthy people around but they are worth including in your shortlist if doing some shopping around.

I also say again for a mini mic, speakers, computer chip & software the cost of them in general is just cringeworthy!

Oh PS - I perhaps should mention VH are in other states too now - I think Christo started in Perth but has expanded over time.

2 Likes

There are a couple of reasons why hearing-aids are so expensive:

1. It’s what the “market will bear” - in other words, what most people are willing to pay.
  2. The hearing-aid manufacturers get 3rd bite of the cherry after computer and phone manufacturers when it comes to the supply of computer chips. And 60% of them fail.
  3. The hearing-aid companies and the audiologists make a lot of profit from them.

That said, you can buy them for less than $100 at COSTCO and then, if you’re lucky, find an audiologist who will tune them to you particular hearing situation. I’m lucky to have an industrial hearing damage award which provides me with lifetime replacements at no cost . . as long s it lasts. There is talk of it ceasing at the end of 2017.

1 Like

Not sure if you have ever been to a Costco because I do not think they sell $100 hearing aids and they do provide full audiology services including ongoing 6 month checks and annual hearing tests as part of the price, so there is no need to

2 Likes

Hi @BrendanMays and all contributors.
Isn’t it great to hear this mornings news that the ACCC is ‘putting the hearing aid industry on notice’ :slight_smile: Hopefully something great is coming out of this but the first response from the h/aid body is not very encouraging. They naturally are happy with the status quo where all of them keep reaping in the profits on the backs of the vulnerable may I say mostly older folks. The hearing aid professionals are mainly concerned with the sale of new and expensive h/aids but it is difficult to find any professionals who would be happy to extend the life of existing and out of warranty h/aids which would save us consumers a lot of money. Understandably they would need to charge a fee for this service but the interest is low as the profit margin here is a lot less.
I still suggest that CHOICE is best suited to look into the audiologist and hearing aid industry as they have the expertise and know how. Maybe a joint inquiry is possible?

4 Likes

Yes, excellent to hear the ACCC is taking notice! Here is a link to their hearing aid report in case other readers would like to take a look, along with a CHOICE news article on the announcement.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Hi Fred,
See my post above. The Blamey in Blamey-Saunders works on bionic ear development and these aids are a spin-off. As you say, you can tune them yourself.

Ash

1 Like

I discovered recently that about 80% of the audiology outlets in Australia are owned by the companies which manufacture the hearing-aids. It’s no wonder the poor old user is being ripped off! Your best bet is to do some research and patronize only independent audiologists.

1 Like

Australian Hearing is a Federal Govt business not a Privately Owned business.

https://www.hearing.com.au/australian-hearing/

4 Likes

If one is fortunate to be near one, Costco is setting a new Aussie standard in affordability for those with out of pocket. Their hearing aid prices are within noise of US prices that are a fraction of what is our norm. They have full audiology departments staffed by well qualified people. Their offered range might be limited compared to some, but covers from entry to high end with the top usually being last years’ top of the suppliers range for each type.

As for independent audiologists, my Very Limited experience suggests their mindset is one of competing on service not price. In my experience Costco audiology has provided excellent ongoing service, so any differences in service remain for each customer to discern.

I am not affiliated with Costco and originally joined because of what I had heard about their hearing aid prices. They live up to all of it in my experience. Anecdotally they report seeing customers with written quotes in the range of $10-20,000 per pair (!!!) for sometimes the same product Costco offers for about $3,000 per pair, and with full ongoing service included.

YMMV, Caveat Emptor, and I have nothing against independent or any other audiologist if you have one who suits your needs and budget.

4 Likes

After reading comments here from other members I decided to try Costco for a hearing test. They offered a great service and then told me that I did not require hearing aids. The audiologist explained in detail what he thought was happening, printed out a graph and wrote a letter to my doctor with his recommendation. All free! Their hearing aids did not seem too highly priced, nothing in the $8000 -$10,000 range I’d been hearing about and saving up for! After this experience I highly recommend Costco.

4 Likes

Thanks @grahroll, I went to Australian Hearing with my 6.5 years old premium hearing aids and they were happy to try to extend their live for as long as possible. Hearing test, adjustments, custom moulds and arranging to have my aids on the government subsidy list for seniors for free batteries, service etc. They made me feel welcome and I am happy with the outcome.

2 Likes

My husband and I have been needing hearing aids for years and, thanks to this letter and comments, we both went to Blamey & Saunders in East Melbourne. Very extensive tests and after almost 3 hours (luckily they also have free parking for clients) we walked out fitted, husband with one basic level aid (his other ear is totally deaf) and me with two top aids, which we are both delighted with.
All up, for us both, it came to just under $7,000.
By the way, I asked to be retested with the background chatter test and went from hearing 35% to 85%!
They are wonderfully helpful and very professional.
Thank you Choice and thank you Blamey & Saunders!

5 Likes

Specsavers is looking at opening over 300 hearing clinics over the next year or so. They indicate their hearing aids will cost from $1495 to $5995.

2 Likes

It’s a pity they don’t offer any services in the rest of the country, though! I’ve read about them for some years, but do not feel confident I can manage all the necessary settings myself. I live in Central Queensland!

1 Like

Was at Costco yesterday and did not pay attention to the low end, but the Kirkland rebranded Rexton Trax 42 was just under $4,000 a pair. Costco’s top end is usually the manufacturer’s top end from the previous year but sometimes can be the current top end depending on release dates.

Specsavers will obviously be far more accessible and convenient, but if price is the point Specsavers still have a way to go for anyone near a Costco and not put off by the $60 p.a. membership.

3 Likes

There is one at
Ground Floor
66 High Street
Toowong. 4066
Ph 1300443279

2 Likes

I was responding to the Blaney & Saunders hearing aid posts; I find their options interesting - but it’s a lot of money to spend when one lives a long way from Melbourne (e.g. Central Qld.). We do have a ‘SpecSaver’ shop - so they might offer hearing services. But, would they be any better than the ones we got now?
And, if there is one at Toowong (Specsaver or Blaney & Saunders shop?) it’s still a LONG way away for me…

2 Likes