CHOICE membership

Health insurance and COVID-19

Hi,

We are looking for feedback on how you feel you have been treated by your health insurer during the coronavirus crises.

For example, did you get a discount or a hardship premium waiver, did you use online services such as physiotherapy and did you find them helpful, has your surgery been cancelled or rescheduled?

We also especially interested in the communication your might receive from your health fund about premium increases that are scheduled for October 1, for example two funds - HBF and TUH - will not increase premiums this year and one health fund - Medibank Private - applies a discount for members in Victoria.

Please post your experiences, good or bad.

Thank you!

1 Like

HCI deferred increases this year.

2 Likes

I am with HCF.

This was the last communication I received on August 3.

“As Australia’s largest not-for-profit health fund, we’ve continued to put our members’ health first throughout the pandemic, with over $100 million in ongoing benefits and support . This includes the deferral of the scheduled April premium increase for all members for 6 months, as well as a range of financial hardship measures including Involuntary Unemployment Assistance for more than 60,000 members doing it tough.”

Our premiums are increasing in October.
I’m in WA, and have undergone an elective surgery in June (rescheduled from April), bought glasses face to face and contact lenses online, had weekly face to face physiotherapy sessions for a sports injury for the last couple of months. My usage of my policy benefits hasn’t really changed at all.

2 Likes

Thank you @PhilT do you mean they won’t have a premium increase in October? If yes, if you wouldn’t mind, I’d appreciate if you could forward your premium increase email to me at healthinsurance@choice.com.au.

3 Likes

Thank you @KAAAAAREN87. Good to hear that you were able to have your surgery in June and were able to use your extras.

2 Likes

I’m with Phoenix Health, a member owned fund. My premium increase was emailed out yesterday. Although overall I’m satisfied with my cover, (and also I’m in WA and not particularly affected by the pandemic) I wish there was a little more communication on how the pandemic has affected the fund. Beyond a standard ‘we are providing relief to members’ I’ve heard nothing.

1 Like