CHOICE membership

Has any actual NBN customer speed data been published?

Latest correspondence from Honesty Box includes this:

Device upgrade

You were one of the first participants to receive a device from us last year.
Since then, we’ve released a new improved version of the Honesty Box. We would
like to swap your old version for a new one, at no charge to you.

Presumably other early joiners will also receive a new device.

I enquired about how much bandwidth it will use, as we often struggle to stay within our 45GB monthly limit, and Marketing and Data Coordinator Ashima Tyagi replied:

Regarding your concern over the Data Limit. The device will use less than a GB over a month period, >during which only less than 500 MB might fall under peak usage. Considering your total limit in a month, we >assure that the consumption would not cause you any trouble as it is negligible if considered.

Also, at long last, this news:

What’s New?

We are excited to enroll you in our Beta Test Group community to provide you with better insights of your >broadband performance , you would receive your individual test results very soon.

Here’s what the picture looks like after six months of NBN testing :desktop_computer:

It would be interesting to know the breakdown of big smoke folk to regional/remote, and how that is seen in the results …

Hot off the press. The ACCC November broadband report.

No mention of satellite or FW I see.

Page load times of a few seconds? Some pages never finish loading for me! Particularly ones using Google Earth imagery- left with blank or fuzzy image squares covering up to half the page sometimes.
When I say never… I give up waiting after a minute or 2, and view a terrain or standard map instead.

As an aside, I was sitting in the car NW of Sydney last month, about 1km from an Optus Tower and ran Speedtest on my phone… 4G delivered up to 189Mbps! Best of 3, the other 2 were 185 and 177, with uploads 16, 29 and 35Mbps.
Geez it chews through the data though!

I’m on the same page as @gordon. Not so useful a report as there is no published FW and no satellite results to assess the NBN Co against.

While there is no clear report on the number of under performing services - the chart of ‘Average NBN download speeds achieved during tests’ infers up to 15% of tests failed to acheive 70% of the tier speed?

Perhaps there are 10% or a greater number of customers who are getting substandard NBN outcomes. The report appears to neatly avoid any such comparison. I’m left wondering whose team the ACCC is batting for here?

The report avoids making performance comparisons between the different NBN tiers and technologies. It assumes we all have equal access which is far from correct!

For some reason the report chooses to compare the NBN results to ADSL services. Which is meaningless (marketing hype aside) given how widely the ADSL service quality varies.

Given one option for the sale of the NBN is to exclude the FW and satellite services, has the ACCC astutely preempted that outcome? Another hint FW and SkyMuster soon may no longer be part of the NBN?

Alternately the data would reveal what we all know. Neither satellite nor FW are fit for purpose in their current form.

I usually consider most things the ACCC publishes (sans an RC in progress) as being government propaganda to the full extent they can make it so. Blind Freddy has provided such valuable information such as ‘shop around’ if one is unhappy with a supplier, provider, or prices. Who would have ever thought to do that?!

Since one cannot shop for a functional broadband system since all the RSPs are essentially NBN resellers with some servers and NBN CVC contracts the ACCC’s job seems to be to sell it as best they can, and less data usually delivers fewer exceptions from the layman reader.

The NBN and the ACCC report on the NBN both seem like a load of :poop: