Aussie Broadband and the NBN Experience

Our nbn installer arrived 20 minutes early this morning, at 7:40. There was a minor problem in that the HFC coax had already been run through the PVC conduit under the house, but it hadn’t been connected to the nbn box on the side of the house. That was easily done, and then he ran the coax through to the study. I gave him a hand to pull the coax through the floor, using a disused phone extension cable that was already there.

He then installed the coax wall socket and connected the NTD. Within ten minutes we had all green lights ( at around 09:00 ) and I connected the NTD to our Fritz!Box 7490. This step was plug-and-play - as soon as the 7490 saw that there was an internet connection on the LAN1 port, it started to use that in preference to the ADSL that was still connected.

At this point, I did a speed test that showed 47/19, and then jumped into the 7490 user interface to remove the ADSL configuration and the VOIP configuration, because…

Until such time as our existing phone number is ported over from iinet to Aussie, we want to keep the VOIP active. I have an older 7390, and configured it to connect to ADSL just to provide VOIP. I plugged a regular phone into the back and made sure that VOIP was still working.

So, all is good, and we now have the ADSL and NBN connections running side by side. As soon as Aussie advise that our phone number has been ported, I’ll disconnect the 7390, put the Aussie VOIP configuration into the 7490, and finally when all is working smoothly, I’ll terminate our iinet account.

Both Aussie and nbn have kept me informed with multiple SMS and email ( from Aussie ) messages. I’m a very happy camper thus far.

( I note that although Aussie advised that there would be paperwork to sign-off on the nbn install, I wasn’t asked to sign anything )

6 Likes