Great Legal Drag Racing Programs

For anyone interested in legal drag racing, there is a repeat episode of “Rise of The Machines” on SBS Viceland at 6:35 PM today.
It features the 2 top AA Fuel dragsters in the USA competing for the national championship. As I recall, the engines were producing around 8,000 HP and achieving terminal speeds over 300 MPH.
When I was a teenager, we used to read about Ash Marshall and Graeme Withers trying to achieve 200 MPH for the first time in Australia with their 1,500 HP engines.

3 Likes

Nothing like that stinging in your eyes and ears when they hit the loud pedal !! used to love it … of course it’s gone more insane over the years. I remember sitting at the finish line at AIR one night of the top fuel finals there and watching in awe as the nearer of the two ‘cars’ detonated and a set of exhaust headers sailed over our heads and the mound landing in the car park … “motor racing is dangerous” or words to that effect were written on the ticket from memory …

5 Likes

Around 1990, we took our children to Willowbank for a major event. I think it was either the Summer Nationals or the Winter Nationals.
During a Top Fuel Funny Car race, one vehicle lost control hitting the wall on one side, then the other wall, and then the first wall again, destroying the car.
He was travelling around 200 MPH when the accident occurred. One of the front wheels broke away and crossed the finish line in around 20 seconds after the start.
The driver climbed out of the wreck unharmed and proceeded to slowly walk back along the track whilst the entire crowd clapped and cheered him.

2 Likes

An incredible video clip of a dragster exploding in Perth.

And as usual, the driver walked away unscathed. You have to love the safety of professional race vehicles.

1 Like

I know it’s dangerous, but I love driving really fast in women’s clothing! (Let’s see if anyone gets the reference.)

3 Likes

Irresistible! But can we be sure?

“Great Legal - drag - Program”
Um! Lawyers cross dressing?

Don’t they all dress the same. Hard to tell the difference once those wigs go on?

I wonder what channel the program is on. :joy:

1 Like

The words I used outside the brackets go back to the 1980s - an Australian comedian. That’s enough hints :wink: .

1 Like

Yes, I was on a tangent with a different play on words, and identity. Rather than solve the riddle! :flushed:

No go faster stripes. Should have stuck with black! Although I’m now in the 70’s.

What would @Fred123 suggest?

1 Like

Your tangent made me think of the Monty Python judge skit, talking about a ‘well hung jury’.

2 Likes

Cross dresser, car enthusiast, Peter Wherrett? (Was he a comedian also?)

Comedian dressed as a woman, Barry Humphris?

3 Likes

Perhaps Aunty Jack might have something to say about that…She’ll be back to rip their b…dy arms off. She was 70’s so I salute “her” earlier appearance and to avoid any violence “her” well stated sense of dress.

3 Likes

Okay, I’ll give you all the original reference, to a George Smilovici routine called I’m Tuff. 2:57 in the below video is the relevant part.

While this routine did, as claimed on YouTube, make it to number one on Australian singles charts, it is not - as claimed - the only comedy routine that got to that milestone. Austen Tayshus is one of the other claimants to the title, with Australiana.

3 Likes

Not fair!! I’m from Melbourne and never heard of George Smilovici!!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

“I eat quiche in front of truckies” … that’s about where I lost it …

1 Like