Got any fuel saving tips?

Hi all - are you someone who’s got a guaranteed method for saving at the bowser?

I’m updating some of CHOICE’s content on how to save on fuel in cars and am looking for effective suggestions for how to achieve this. So, if you’ve got a tip more people should know about, drop it below!

2 Likes

The obvious one for us is to keep an eye on the local SE Qld fuel prove cycle and options with Petrol Spy. Typically our 3 nearest outlets are all in lock step. But if we are leaving our semi rural location for a trip to the larger towns or Brisbane - it’s wise to look ahead. It can be cheaper to fill up before going, but not always. Prices can vary up to 20cpl for servos along the way.

Note though certain large service centre stops always charge more for the convenience. Regardless of what it might be for a 5km detour.

The second tip which might cause some to argue. E10 is not a saving if your car can run on unleaded U91. The 2-3cpl difference (saving) for E10 we see in our part of Oz may not justify it as a choice. E10 has less energy content resulting in an increase in consumption of approx 3%. It needs to be 6cpl cheaper relative to U91 at $2.00pl or 5c ref to $1.60pl. That’s if it is to be about the same cost per km.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/driving-boating-and-transport/e10-fuel/e10-facts#:~:text=fuel%20near%20you-,Do%20I%20get%20the%20same%20fuel%20economy%20out%20of%20E10,amount%20of%20RON%2091%20petrol.

8 Likes

As old as the hills but it actually works.

Never hit either the brake or accelerator hard (except in emergency) and don’t try to go faster than the flow even if legal.

This not only saves fuel but tyres too.

If you feel that you must take every opportunity to slip into holes, run up behind the car in front so you have to then brake, or accelerate away from one set of lights to slam on the brakes at the next set, your problem isn’t with the price of fuel but
attitude.

11 Likes

Some modern cars have an ‘eco’ mode that turns them into sluggish sloths by moderating engine performance, auto transmission shifts, and even changing artificial noises. Using it reduces fuel consumption although for many, disproportionately so re the enjoyment of driving the car.

3 Likes

Drive a manual

4 Likes

Use the brakes as little as possible. Do this by reading the road ahead. E.g. there is a 60km speed limit sign ahead, take your foot off the accelerator so that you are doing the right speed when you reach the sign, instead of driving at a higher speed and using the brake at the last moment. If you see the brake lights of the car ahead of you, take your foot off the accelerator, and keep a good distance between you and the car ahead to allow this. Accelerate gently, take advantage of downhills to gain speed where appropriate.

6 Likes

Avoid driving. Many trips, particularly those in the city areas, are less than 1km. Such trips can easily be walked (biked or using public transport). Using a car for short trips uses significantly more petrol (from stop start traffic and because the car engine is cold) and also increases wear and tear on the vehicle. Walking (biked or using public transport) is easy and often takes similar time when the whole journey is considered.

The other saving is use a fuel app. The State government ones are preferred as information in the apps is mandated for currency. The apps show the cheapest fuel on route and can be used to save upwards of a few dollars each refuelling.

6 Likes

With modern GDI Motors ( gasoline direct injected ) at least once a month go for a drive down the highway for 20km or so at 100kmh or faster if permissible . This will keep your intake manifold clean and also clean EGS valves and turbo charger if fitted .

The drop in fuel usage is quite noticeable .

4 Likes

I use Petrol Spy to check what is available. I also lock in prices for seven days at 7 Eleven, I think my maximum saving on U98 was close to 40 cents per litre. Now limited to 25 from early february

2 Likes

1 Like

Take the roof racks and those cargo baskets off the roof of your vehicle. They are probably infrequently used but disrupt the air flow over the top of your vehicle. I have no evidence but my in car l/100km value is increased when I have these attached to my vehicle.

5 Likes

Why is that not evidence?

1 Like

My sample size is a bit small at 1 but I think most owners of modern cars with roof adornments could do their own testing.

1 Like

Roof racks do significantly increase fuel use (pdf file).

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a42596866/tested-roof-rails-affect-gas-mileage/

3 Likes

They could but I hardly think it is necessary, anything that makes your car more slippery improves fuel consumption especially at high speeds.

In the same direction you can save fuel by not turning on the aircon unless you have to. I know some who have it on always even if the air temperature is quite mild.

3 Likes

Not a new science. Higher speeds and driving styles that result in frequent speed changes both contribute.
It’s official depending on where one chooses to reside.
Alternative Fuels Data Center: Techniques for Drivers to Conserve Fuel

One notable observation is fuel economy decreases markedly from speeds above approx 80kph (50mph) for many passenger vehicles.
Gas Mileage Tips - Driving More Efficiently

3 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: The Principles of Aerodynamic Drag and Rolling Resistance on vehicle fuel consumption

My fuel tips.
Support the independants servos they always save me min 10-42 cpl.
Difficult but i try keep only tools i expect to need in ute.
If I have to I will put $10-20 till cycle drops.
I have been known to fill 140L into drums to keep for long high fuel price spells.
My ute tries to slow itself on a downhill run I often knock her into neutral to stop runaway braking mode.
Looking ahead - Drive smoothly and lane filter as required safely to keep momentum. ALWAYS indicating and having ample space (to me this means not causing anyone else to brake reactively).
Keep tyres at pressure to go road meeting shape not to the dodge servo guages.

5 Likes

Good tip, leec - this has come up in my chats with experts. Interesting to hear you’ve noticed an improvement in fuel economy!

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, don2 - I’ve been asking car experts about this

2 Likes