Gmo debate continues

This prospect stirs up one of my dark fears, which may or may not be rational, that corporations, who answer only to the profit motive, can and will gather too much power. Control over production of major food staples is a great deal of power. I cannot say how likely this may be; does that make it wrong to fear? The principle of patenting genes bothers me. It may be legal but is it right?

3 Likes

I would phrase that can and have. One just need look at US agriculture to see how the money flows to and from the food chain to the political chain. A bit lower scale here but as usual, following along. Sometimes I fear we actually lead :frowning:

At some point food and water become issues of national security rather than human survival, and off it goes.

Isnā€™t the current system of law great? It gives those who have a go a real go and for the rest, suck it up.

2 Likes

You have stilled failed to link GE with the current decline in crop diversity. Your false equivalence of current varieties=GMO is flat-out wrong and highlights the nuance of this topic that you are not grasping. I have already explained several causes for our current diversity loss and have even supplied you with links for further reading. You do seem to have read (or at least copy+pasted) some of it, but it seems you are only viewing the information through your predisposed lens of ā€œanti-GMOā€, because nothing of what you are saying in this paragraph makes sense. Can you please try to explain this link you have created between crop diversity loss and genetic engineering?

This is also out-of-context and misguided, likely fueled by your anti-GMO lens you apply to these websites. The UN does not insist against biotechnology, but in fact urges that alternatives such as biotechnology and agroecology should be explored.

I havenā€™t ignored your bait-and-switch of corporate ownership or false equivalence with monoculture, Iā€™m just addressing one claim at a time to prevent gish-galloping. You accepted and agree with the safety and efficacy of GMOs, now we are addressing your next claim: diversity loss. Next will be your claim of corporate ownership, then monocultures. One at a time make the information sink in better :slight_smile:

I am not sure what you mean, can you explain a little?

1 Like

I did not think it was a very deep comment, especially as the phrase was recently in the news courtesy of the PM and it seemed to ring with many voters, but Iā€™ll play.

If you are going well this and possibly the alternative government, though stewardship of ā€˜the systemā€™ will enhance your prospects by giving you all sorts of benefits from allowing you to (eg) own and profit from genes to many forms of tax breaks and so on.

If you are not partaking because of insufficient wealth and income you can watch and accept your lot in life as you are a leaner.

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying. My question was genuine not a game. I havenā€™t seen the PMā€™s comment. This medium is imperfect so I would rather clarify than assume.

2 Likes
1 Like