Glad brand 50% Ocean Plastic Recycled bin liners are rubbish!

I purchased Glad brand 50% Ocean Plastic Recycled bin liners for the first time last week. I was excited to be using a product that would reduce my environmental impact (if only a little). Unfortunately, more than half that we have pulled off the roll so far aren’t sealed properly so they can’t be used. The other ones we have used that appear to be sealed don’t hold well and when we have pulled the bag out of the bin, they split at the base making a huge mess everywhere. Considering we have a very small 8L garbage bin, I was shocked that these bin liners don’t.

Has anyone else experienced this with these bin liners? Is this simply a bad batch or are these bin liners not worth buying in the future?

1 Like

Hi @LA09, welcome to the community.

Thanks for highlighting the issues you have found with the Glad 50% ocean plastic recycled bags. If they don’t work as you have indicated, you can take them back to the retailer for a refund (as they aren’t fit for purpose). Hopefully if other consumers do likewise, Glad will get the message to improve the product quality.

It appears that the products will cause more waste than they are trying to prevent…with wasted bags outstripping any benefit of the recycled content.

3 Likes

I too have been looking to reduce my use of plastic bags in kitchen tidies, and have been successfully using Multix 95% recycled plastic. But what I really want to do is use bags which are bio-degradable. There are brands out there that claim to degrade after a few weeks or months, but I don’t know if they actually work OK. Has anyone had any experience with them?

2 Likes

I have tested ‘compostable’ bags from the fruit shop only to find they are still intact months later in my compost bin.

2 Likes

There are different classes of compostable bags. Assuming the fruit shop bags meet an Australian Standard, they could be compostable in an industrial composting operation. Such bags won’t compost in a backyard compost bin unless the same composting conditions are created. It is highly unlikely such conditions will.

For home composting certified bags, to compost in a backyard compost bin conditions similar to that required under the testing regime needs to occur for a compostable bag to break down. This can be hit or miss in an average bin.

This website provides further information on different composting classes:

4 Likes