Games Table - Board Games

This thread has been created so that members can provide information on their favourite board games, rate board games that they play or those board games to avoid. Board games are those played on a board or uses tiles on a table.

If you play board games, you are more than welcome to post below.

Like Jigsaws/Puzzles, see Puzzles including Jigsaws

Like Card Games, see Card Table - Card Games

3 Likes

I am an old fashioned monopoly fan, but also love Cluedo and of the recent developments Pictionary has given hours of hilarity

3 Likes

Cluedo and backgammon are my favourite board games . Not necessarily a board game but I play Mah Jong a lot both online and with friends live . One board game I miss playing is Poleconomy . I believe it is no longer available .

6 Likes

Used to play Risk a lot. Board and on the PC. But if playing for world domination with say three others, it could take a long time. So usually played missions.

Anyone remember Squatter?

3 Likes

Iā€™m always a bit sheepish about it. :grinning: Yes I do remember it, and did play it up until the 2011 floods when the vast majority of our household contents were destroyed including our game library.

6 Likes

Anyone for Scrabble?

7 Likes

Love Scrabble :slightly_smiling_face:

I associate most board games with people: memories of my father teaching me checkers, and when I started learning how to play chess with a boyfriend but the relationship didnā€™t last long. Playing battleship with an uncle who was very kind and would usually let me sink all of his fleet. Child minding a cousin and passing the time playing a game of monopoly with himā€¦

At the moment Iā€™m doing a 1000 pieces jigsaw puzzle, yes I know itā€™s not considered a board game but Wikipedia describes it as ā€˜a game, a problemā€™ā€¦ and this one is certainly a problem :wink:

6 Likes

If you like Scrabble, you possibly will also like:

It has a few different rules for the game and somewhat similar principles to Scrabble - albeit without a board. It is always a good one to take travelling as it comes in a carry bag.

6 Likes

One of my current favourites is:

It can be played with 2-4 players, or more is there is a second game set.

It involves strategy rather than luck. The aim is to create tracks between the adventurer on the beach and the treasure in the jungle. Every player starts with the adventurers and treasure in the same location. Each player also plays the same track tile in each go. The difference occurs where each player choses to play the track tile on the board and/or using the track tile to move an adventurer. Game takes about 20-30 minutes.

4 Likes

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Puzzles including Jigsaws

Two games I like, although thereā€™s no ā€˜boardā€™ involved, are Yahtzee, and Mastermind (kind of a board).

6 Likes

I had a thing for Trivial Pursuit for years, and the funniest board game I ever played was Balderdashā€¦ much hilarity over many glasses of wine. Never liked Monopoly, but loved Scrabble (still do). I have dabbled with chess but although I know the moves I am useless with strategyā€¦

5 Likes

ā€œTrivial Pursuitā€ for bringing out the family rivalries. Various versions and preferences, the originalā€™s focus section on entertainment seemed to favour an addiction to American movie and TV.

Not a board game in a traditional sense of rolling the dice:
Pictionary was one of our adult after dinner favourites. Well fed with optional lubrication, inhibitions relaxed and imagination freewheeling. Great with the younger ones, if careful to be sure to encourage all efforts.

7 Likes

It comes with different packs of question cards. At one stage we had one that was very British. As well as the standard general trivia we had questions like; what is the tallest peak in Nottinghamshire or what colour are the football jerseys of the team fielded by Saham Toney. Nobody would play with that pack.

4 Likes

We were really into Trivial Pursuit for quite a while, too. With two physicists and a chemist in the family, much fun was had criticising and correcting the ā€˜science and natureā€™ answers in particular. :wink:

I never did get into chess or Go (too much like hard thinking work), although I had Uni friends who were crazy about one or other of those and tried to infect me too.

3 Likes

A friend of mine is into war games . He has a large room at his home which has a large table we use as a playing field .As I had a Grand Mother born in Virginia and I had lost 4 ancestors killed in action at Gettysburg fighting for the Confederacy , we fort it again and this time the NVA (North Virginia Army ) under Robert E Lee had a victory that matched Fredericksburg . Totally destroyed the Yankees Potomac Army and took Washington . Great victory for the Confederacy .

2 Likes

My younger brother was into Dungeons & Dragons decades ago. Although they seemed to use a lot of space (large room), that has probably moved on-line to a virtual world. I have never played.

Heā€™s also a strategist, more so than me, so you never took up his offer to play a new game. He would describe the rules, then just as you were to declare victory, he would evoke the rule on page 249 to disqualify you and he claimed the booty.

There are people you donā€™t want to play against (like the two of us) who will nearly always win. Not much fun in games that knock out players progressively, leaving 4 people to drink coffee and watch two ruthless players try to bankrupt each other over the next 2 hours. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m usually Banker and heā€™s Dungeon Master.

Money was tight when I was young (Mum was stuffing newspaper into the cracks in the wall & we wore hand-me-downs from the cousins) but I remember the younger brothers playing Mouse Trap, Twister, Monopoly, draughts, Squatter, Uno.

4 Likes

No mention of Snakes and Ladders yet. Does anyone still play it?

2 Likes

Yep! We made our own with a cardboard box flattened out, ruled and illustrated with sticks for ladders and buttons for counters. Went through a number of refinements until the final version was inked. Also played checkers, draughts (a chess board can be many games).

5 Likes

Oh, Iā€™d forgotten about draughts! Yes, that was a favourite when I was a kid. We didnā€™t have a chess set, though, until one of my elder brothers started playing chess at high school.

We also had a Chinese Checkers set. It didnā€™t get used much, for whatever reason, so I donā€™t recall anything about the game.

Does anyone else remember Go? It was around in the early 1970s, and some people (not me) really got into it, but I havenā€™t heard much about it since.

3 Likes