Fun with Merchandising

I just returned from Bunnings for a few fasteners. These beauties could be purchased in a pretty 4-pack for $3.27, or taken from a lose bin for $0.50 each. Need 6, buy 2 packs of 4 for $6.54 and have 2 spares, or just buy the 6 for $3.00.

The casual consumer probably grabs what they see first and pays for the thrill of having a cardboard and plastic pack to open and put in the bin. “Special value” – at least $1.27.

Consumers paying so little attention – priceless.

9 Likes

I am just relieved to hear that it is still possible to purchases things ‘loose’. Have often had to purchase packets of small hardware items where there has been no another option.

2 Likes

Indeed - I needed a couple of chemset? bolts - more than the blister pack but less than the box with a million of them. If only you could buy 4. The good old days when you could just get what you needed. I remember a place in Adelaide called (I think) “Universal Myer” - where you could go and buy one bolt, and the guy would apply a thread gauge and micrometer and you’d get exactly what you needed, or at least exactly what you thought you needed - oddly enough here in the middle of nowhere we have a bolt shop that still does exactly that …

Packaging costs money - hence the extra cost, albeit a tad over the top.

Last year I purchased a chem-set gun. It cost $37.00 at a “nut and bolt” shop. I thought it was a bit expensive - its essentially a large chalking gun and cheap ones are $3-$10.
I checked at Blackwoods - $47.00 then I checked at Bunnings - $107.00 - go figure… It pays to check prices. When I asked the guy on the trade desk why? He said he’d find out.
A month or so later I caught up with him and his ‘excuse’ was that Blackwood were the Australian agents for Ramset - who make chem-set guns. That it was Blackwood’s fault because of their markup - figure that one out! Still cheaper at the nut and bolt shop.
Oh; by the way Blackwoods is owned by Wesfarmers same as Bunnings…
How can you tell when a salesman’s lying? Their lips are moving.

1 Like