Fuel price issues

Petrol prices in the area I live often reach above $1.85 .

5 Likes

The difference a day makes :roll_eyes:

Eltham servos popped up to 169-171 today and it is sticking this time.

6 Likes

$1.73 Altona area . For 91 RON

4 Likes

Costco Bundamba today 98 Premium was 150.7 cents/litre, E10 was at 130.7 cents/litre and diesel was 139.7 cpl. Almost everywhere else we saw 171.9 cpl for E10, 173.9 for ULP, and 193.9 Prem 98, diesel was 157.9 cpl at a few places when we checked.

3 Likes

Good news everyone: our testers jumped in a car and visited various cities and towns along the east coast to help you find the best app for cheap fuel. We tested fuel price apps in Queensland, NSW, Victoria and the ACT for price accuracy, ease of use, special features and more.

7 Likes

I received an email from Caltex with a “special offer” of 1,000 Woolworths Rewards points and a 4 cents per litre discount in addition to the normal Woollies 4 cents per litre discount if I spent $30 on fuel and/or in-store but it was only applicable at Caltex servos with a Starmart or The Foodary.

The only Caltex with a Starmart in Cairns is on Sheridan Street and Petrol Spy pre-warned me of their rip-off price of 147.4 cents per litre for U91.

When I happened to drive past it today, there were no vehicles at the pumps. Surprise, surprise.

I filled up at Woollies at Earlville at 141.9 cents per litre less the 4 cents discount.

2 Likes

Firstly the good news.

Saudi Arabia has slashed oil prices over a dispute with Russia.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/oil-prices-drop-why-saudi-arabia-has-started-a-price-war-with-russia/470ddef5-56aa-4777-8927-161521f45114

Now for the bad news.

The Treasurer thinks that the ACCC can ensure price reductions are passed onto consumers.

Heading Southbound on the Hume yesterday we needed to top up and knew the regional and metro Melbourne prices from apps. The BP roadhouse we stopped at was in line with the regional prices so topped up. About 10km down the road we passed a Shell roadhouse that was a full $0.10 a litre higher for 91.

Shells around Melbourne have also seemingly standardised on a $0.23 spread between 91 and 98 while all the other brands are still at $0.19-20, once upon a time much less until they ‘optimised’ their P/L as more vehicles need premium grades. Needless to post we do not patronise Shell excepting for our vehicle that uses 91 at the bottom of the cycles, when we also have both a Coles and Linkt discount ($0.08 per litre). For the rest of the time needing 98, anywhere else.

1 Like

The NRMA says that NSW motorists are being ripped off.

The lowest price in Cairns is already down to 132.9 cents a litre at United.

Even though crude has crashed as has the $Aussie, is that new news?

The price of Unleaded Petrol has plummeted during the current perfect storm including over supply.
What about Diesel - it has come down a little but is way out of proportion to ULP drops … AND … it is less refined than ULP.
Don’t tell me it is the discount cycle - rubbish. I think there is some background price gouging happening here.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum community Martin. I have moved your question to an existing thread with questions about fuel prices.

Interesting you raised this question, as I just had this discussion with someone a few days ago. We didn’t come up with a satisfactory answer.

If you go to the Aust Institute of Petroleum (AIP) , you can download wekly pricing reports. I have downloaded the AIP report for diesel for the week ending 22 March.

I quote from the report:
" The Australian refining sector is a price taker. Domestic prices are closely linked to international prices. The Singapore benchmark price of diesel (Gasoil 10ppm sulfur) is the key diesel price benchmark for Australia. As the chart below shows:
• the Gasoil price plus shipping costs and Australian taxes represents almost the entire wholesale price of diesel (around 95%)
• there is no retail discounting cycle (i.e. sawtooth pattern) for diesel, as only 25% of diesel is sold through retail outlets and most of this goes to contract or fuel card customers rather than private motorists; most diesel is sold in bulk to commercial/industrial customers (e.g. mining, transport and farming) on long term contract; such contracts are subject to rigorous competition under regular market tenders"

To my surprise, it looks like the retail margins are fairly consistent.

2 Likes

Blind Freddy can do nothing more than report because price gouging is not illegal in Australia. Local prices are all $1.49-$1.59 for 91 today, but only $1.15 only 7km away, but go 15km and back to $1.49-$1.59. Nothing to see according to government. :roll_eyes:

While we are all preoccupied with coronavirus for the next few months one or even two of our illustrious pollies might notice some price gouging and propose an anti-gouging law, that will be swiftly refused in cabinet as likely as not. Government will bail out business but do anything it can to avoid regulating it. Not curious, just predictable.

It helps sometimes to look on the other side of the road,

While a 3minute drive along the cross connect is a Puma priced at 111.7cpl.

The saving on U98 for the short drive is approx 42cpl.

An article regarding crude oil prices in the US dropping to negative values for the first time in history.

And fuel prices for U91 in Cairns have crashed to a mere 113.9 cents/L at United, down a whole 19 cents/L since 19.03.2020.

Perhaps they might get down to $1/L in 6 months time?

Another article regarding crude oil prices.

2 Likes

I did see 89.9c/l for U91 in BrisVegas last week. That’s before any discount.

Sydney and Melbourne appeared to be all over the place for pricing on Friday, with sub $1.00/l and others still up there at $1.30/l. It might take time to filter through. Free petrol seems less likely?

2 Likes

In northern Tassie, it is generally around 1.20-1.25c/L…if you are lucky and keep an eye on PetrolSpy, it is possible to get it cheaper. Yesterday managed to get it for 105.9c/L in Launceston. There has been the odd report of a servo being just under the dollar, but it appears to be only temporary and the price goes up after a day or two.

3 Likes

145 to 158 here for Premium 95 - very few here use 91 even for lawnmowers …

2 Likes

Why? All high performance vehicles?

1 Like

While the fuel companies deny it and most ‘evidence’ is anecdotal, the 91 LAF we have here is thought to be detrimental to the engine. Any mechanic I’ve spoken to recommends 95 or above. I’ve used 91 when I was in locations that didn’t have 95 and filled with 95 as soon as possible on return. If we had normal ULP 91 I’d happily use it in the car, but most of my bikes call for 95 anyway …

3 Likes