Frequent flyer & Loyalty points - are they 'worth it'?

I got a free large frypan and it is pretty good. Coles pan stocking was never the best and as the promotion approaches its end it seems to be getting progressively more challenging to find specific pieces, especially the large pan.

2 Likes

Telstra has joined the party with ā€˜Telstra Plusā€™. I received a personally addressed invitation with gift offer in the AP mail. Belated perhaps reading the program is more than a month or two old.

Who else has received an offer, or joined and is it a great offer or another offer to ignore?

Whistleout provides regular guidance on phone and related products, and is sometimes referred toy Choice. The following answered key questions for me.

As a rule of thumb, the redemption value of an item in points is roughly equivalent to its outright price multiplied by 360. Thereā€™s some variance, but essentially, to be able to buy an item with points, you need to be spending its outright price with Telstra each month for 36 months consecutively.
For example, if you were hoping to buy a 64GB iPhone 12 solely with points, youā€™d need to spend an average of $1,292 per month with Telstra across three years. (The iPhone 12 retails for $1,349 outright). Yikes.

Double Yikes. Who would be spending $1292 every month with Telstra, or any other competitor? At best it equates to a 3% discount or less. This is assuming an item you need to purchase is available from the rewards store, and being a Telstra customer is not a premium when compared to alternative providers.

2 Likes

People who have more money than sense. I have friends who go with Telstra no matter what. And they will buy their phones through Telstra, next time. We had the conversation this morning. Iā€™ll have to draw their attention to the pitfalls.

Iā€™ve had a few things via flybuys, I was saving my points to get a sunbeam skillet but sadly they had none by the time I got there. Iā€™ll just have to find something else to spend them onā€¦ and when I have none left, Iā€™ll be cutting the card up and deleting my account. Iā€™ll keep the Woolies one because once a month I can get a reduction in the cost of my online shop. I liked it better when I was getting a 10% off my prepaid phone bill.

This page might not always be up-to-date but looks like it. Although Qantas is on the stingier side it is far from the the stingiest.

For those who donā€™t fly much Virgin Australia is now a partner with United. Virgin Velocity miles expire in 2 years but Unitedā€™s program do not expire. The respective rewards could have differing costs but it might be be worthwhile for Virgin flyers to have a look at the partnering arrangement and even preference the UA program.

Edit: @mark_m kindly pointed out one can get miles by means other than flying.

My ps is the differing programs also have differing fees and taxes for flight rewards, as well as differing availability of reward flights, esp in premium cabins. Some programs make it possible with minimal fuss, others not so much. I know UA and QF but not the ā€˜new Virginā€™. For myself the UA program is the best although I have lots of QF miles from my professional life still trying to get used, and not so many UA ones but building.