Freestyle Libre 2 don’t replace faulty sensors

Warning to those with non insulin dependent diabetes and want to continuously monitor their blood glucose levels. Freestyle Libre (Abbott Diabetes Care) will not replace faulty sensors unless you get a letter from your health care provider stating you need to use a cgm. They also state that their product is not approved for use by the TGA for type 2 diabetics, yet happy to sell the product without adequate warning of this. Not very transparent! Sensor’s are $102, and there is no obvious warning when buying the product about their convenient exclusion to replace or refund! I have tried multiple times, and they remain firm in their refusal to replace.
The problem I had with the sensor was that it would not start after warm up.

2 Likes

Hi @BrittCatch, welcome to the community.

From the information you have provided, I assume that you bought the monitor without medical recommendation… that is you made the decision to buy it from a seller of the device.

The Freestyle Libre 2 website in the terms of sale states it is only for insulin dependent diabetes mellitus:

Namely:

The FreeStyle Libre Flash Glucose Monitoring System is indicated for measuring interstitial fluid glucose levels in people (age 4 and older) with insulin dependent diabetes mellitus. The indication for children (age 4 - 17) is limited to those who are supervised by a caregiver who is at least 18 years of age. Using the Sensor outside of the indications, breaches the Terms which you have accepted when purchasing the Sensor. When Abbott products are used outside of their indicated use, Abbott does not provide product support and will consider the product warranty to be null and void.

However, looking at their homepage, it gives the impression that it can be used for type 2 diabetes:

The terms suggest that using the device for any other purpose than for insulin dependent diabetes mellitus, it voids the warranty… or possibly misusing the device.

This creates an inconsistency which you can use to approach Abbott Diabetes Care and make a claim under the Australian Consumer Law. The statements provided on the website are misleading…and they indicate that the monitor is ‘fit for purpose’ for type 2 diabetes.

Take a screenshot of their front page where it shows (I have included it here just in case it changes):

and state that Abbott Diabetes Care state it can be used for type 2 diabetes. As such, the consumer guarantee under ACL applies and they need to provide resolution for the faulty sensor. Put this is writing as a formal complaint. Also state that if they chose not to provide a resolution, you will be taking it further such as lodging it with the State Government Office of Fair Trading.

Good luck as much of the information on the website, including the user manual and the link to the read the warnings before purchase on the homepage, indicates that it is for insulin dependent diabetes mellitus only. The only contradiction is that of the homepage. Hopefully they reconsider your request for resolution and you are successful. It is possible that they will hold firm stating that even though the homepage indicates type 2 diabetes application, all other information including terms, warnings and user guides indicate it is for insulin dependent diabetes mellitus only.

2 Likes

I’ve had that a few times and never been refused. I am T2 but also insulin dependent. That said, I haven’t had a failure for over a year, as I can no longer afford to buy them.

1 Like