Free to air television

Close enough.
Bell 427.

The rego is visible on the tail boom (VH-DMX).
Samsung mobile phone holder optional. :wink:

3 Likes

One independent view on the big change to the ABC’s free to internet web services, notably iView. Access will be restricted to registered viewers from 01July2021.

Just why registration will be compulsory is yet to receive a satisfactory answer.

Iview is not free to air TV, because it’s not over the air. It however might just be the future of the national broadcaster. It’s worth asking the question. Is the Govt about to transition the ABC to a pay TV future, accessible only on line?

The national broadcaster is far from popular with many politicians. Possibly because it does more than just repeat what they say. Although for some that might just be all that needs to be said.:wink:

3 Likes

Neither is SBS On Demand and they have been doing tis for years.

2 Likes

I’ll be happy to log in on my AppleTV because its damned frustrating to half watch something on the computer or ipad, only to go to the ATV and find that you have to start over, or scrobble, to get to where you were. If logins hel with that, I’m all over it.

1 Like

Is there a continuing downward spiral of free to air TV and with it Australian Content?

There is an imbedded chart in the linked article. As of 2020 FTA represented just 1/3rd of the national $22B market. The balance is online and STV.

Recommendations for local content production by streaming services have been reduced to 5% of revenue.

The issue of accessing services using smart TVs is often raised in a number of the community topics. Also commented on in the report.

Meanwhile, commercial television lobby group Free TV Australia said it was happy with some of the announced reforms but wanted the government to take further action.

Among other things, it called on the government to stop streaming services from buying broadcast rights to sports and putting them behind their paywalls and requested a new law requiring that free TV services “are prominent and easy for consumers to find on modern television sets”.

Minister Fletcher’s office did not return calls on this issue.

2 Likes

Some people think ‘reforms’ mean improvements. Sometimes they are, but ‘reform’ euphemistically means changing to suit the ideology espoused by the government of the day.

4 Likes