Fluoridation for Dental Health

There are probably many people like me who cannot tolerate fluoride. But there is no mention of it in bottled liquids, or many other packaged food in their list of ingredients. Fluoride should be listed as an ingredient if they don’t use a reverse osmosis filter in their added ingredients like water. Also how do we find out if there is natural fluoride in some foods. EG. Cocoa.

If this has been medically diagnosed (there is evidence indicating fluoride intolerance doesn’t exist at levels in water/foods), you will also be aware that fluoride occurs naturally at significant levels in a range of foods from potatoes, dairy, oats, tea and coffee (which has levels similar to if not greater than fluoridated water) through to raisins/grapes, seafood to spinach.

I feel for you as you must have a severely restricted diet to avoid consuming any fluoride.

5 Likes

I doubt that. Fluorine compounds are very prevalent in the Earth’s crust.
All plants contain some levels of fluoride as they take up water from ground water sources. Which contains fluoride.
Also public water supplies have had fluorine compounds added for many many years to help prevent dental decay.
If you had a genuine allergy to fluorine compounds, then you would have to drink only rainwater or distilled water, and consume no plants, or most animals. Very rare I would think.

1 Like

For clarity not all water supplies are fluoridated beyond whatever occurs naturally in the regional water tables.

Quite so. But water fluoridation has been controversial for a long time and so studied quite a lot. I cannot find any study that shows that after water was fluoridated there was a rush of people coming up with allergies. Perhaps such exists but I don’t know where.

2 Likes

Harvard offers the following. Fluorides are present in various forms all around us. It offers a number of insights including guidelines for fluoride intake - minimum and upper limits.

On the possibility someone has an excessivey high intake of fluorides:

A true fluoride toxicity is rare but may occur from excessive fluoride in water, whether occurring naturally or added, or accidental overconsumption of fluoride supplements. Symptoms include:

• Nausea, vomiting
  • Abdominal pain
  • Diarrhea
  • Joint pain
  • Skeletal fluorosis, or bone loss (from chronically excessive intakes)

I was enlightened learning bananas :yum: are one healthy source of naturally containing fluorides. Also a great source of potassium, some of which apparently is radioactive.
The dentist will be pleased. :wink:

Fluoride | The Nutrition Source | Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

PhilT
Would yu like to list the areas not fluoridated. I know Byrion Bay refused to add it to their water, but most of the other petitions trying to stop it and sent to Council, up the East Coast, were ignored

1 Like

Too much fluoride can also cause osmosis of the teeth (brown stains) that won’t disappear.

1 Like

This is the best I can do for that query is wikipedia. This entry seems well researched but may not be authoritative or up-to-date.

The value of fluoridated water has been documented time and again for over a half century. From the USA

From Australia

As with anything, even water, too much of an otherwise good thing is not necessarily good and there are clear guidelines for most things, including fluoride.

1 Like

I think you mean to say “fluorosis”. I’m not a dentist however the following seems reassuring advice. From the Cleveland Clinic, link below.

Dental fluorosis has no impact on oral health or function. In fact, people with fluorosis are actually more resistant to cavities. This discovery is what prompted health officials to introduce fluoride into public water supplies at a safe level.

Fluorosis: What It Is, Causes & Treatment.

1 Like

The USA has been doing clinical trials for many years proving that it affects our health and they have been going through many court cases.

Would you provide a few citations from peer reviewed sources? Your assertion is contrary to what I believe is accepted medical science.

Anyone can sue for anything. How many won on the basis fluoridation is dangerous?

5 Likes

Regardless of where a person lives, just drink rainwater - if the reticulated water supply is perceived as a problem. Every (new / amended) house is supposed to have a rainwater tank anyway these days.

Rainwater in urban areas can have its own issues.

Pathogens such as Cryptosporidium and Giardia may be present in rainwater, and in urban areas, lead and other compounds pose a risk of chemical contamination (source).

If one plans to drink rainwater in a urban area, expert advice may be need so that any potential sources of contamination (biological or chemical) can be dealt with before the rainwater is consumed.

2 Likes

When Qld was mandating fluoride in water, I got an expemption for all the towns in the Shire, because they were all on deep bore water which had more than half the reqired amount. That’s because it had spent millions of years filtering through the earth picking up minerals on the way. It did stink, stain and crust up taps, so people mostly had rainwater tanks and drank from them.

Council objections to fluoridating the water supply was more to do with waste. Most of it went on lawns and gardens or into evaporative airconditioners. A small amount was for human consumption.

2 Likes

100% naturally pure mineral water.
Just because it tastes a little different does not mean it’s not good for you. Some of the healthiest food options around the planet taste like :face_vomiting:.

Missed opportunity IMO to bottle it and sell it at a premium as a health tonic. Just like the benefits for the outer body from taking a natural hot spring Onsen in Japan, drink yours best served warmed to body temperature healthy for the inside. :joy:

1 Like

Barcaldine Qld did market a Great Artesian Basin “spring” water, advertised as the water the dinosaurs drank. It wasn’t a success.

Children who grew up drinking bore water had good teeth. Now, unfortunately, they drink sugary drinks and rainwater and have teeth as bad as their unfluroudated city cousins. With a lack of dentists out bush, it is not a pretty sight.

2 Likes

According to the statistics, Tasmania was the first to introduce fluoride into the water, but their teeth compare to toher states have not improved. It seems to me that swallowing fluoride makes not difference. Could even give you fluorosis.

Would it more likely be the case that all states have fluoridated most of their water supplies, and because cause and effect are not instantaneous, they are improving in lockstep with each other?

As for some information on places not fluoridating this is a stark reminder of how it really goes, not how one might think it goes.

2 Likes

Presumably you have read these. Care to share with us?

2 Likes