Fluorescent Tube 36W - one main length and LED replacement

Does anyone know if 36W fluorescent tubes has one main length of around 1200mm? I’ve seen some with 1213mm and wonder if they fit. Is there a standard I should look out for?

Also is there a specific type? T8, that I can use for LED replacement with a ballast?

Thanks for any help.

1 Like

Yes, they have standardised lengths and IME the sockets accommodate a few mm of variation.

There are DIY LED replacements for T8s on the market. While there are many information resources from international sources Bunnings is the local ‘go to’.

and from another site that is explicitly helpful

4 Likes

There are T8 LED retro fit tubes - replacements available as noted in the prior post, in the more common lengths, and for other sizes.

A couple of points to note:
The majority of fluro light fittings found in the home will have what is commonly referred to as a magnetic ballast and a seperate replaceable plastic bottle like starter. It’s important to be sure that the LED fluro purchased is supplied as a conversion for this type of fluro fitting, IE compatible with the magnetic type ballast. Look for the detail on the packaging (see example) or ask in store to be sure. These LED tube replacements for fluro tubes also require the starter to be replaced with a “LED Starter”. The major retailers sell the LED replacement starters typically included with the replacement LED tube.

EG Osram 1.2m LED 2100lm Cool White 14W Fluoro Tube - Bunnings Australia
Note:

Some modern fluro fittings may have an ‘electronic ballast’. They do not have a seperate replaceable starter. I’m not as familiar with these. They require a different LED tube product as far as I can determine, or a wiring change to the fitting by a licensed electrician to accept a standard LED tube.

Note: T8 refers to the size of the tube and end fitting. It does not determine the type of ballast installed in the light fitting. The presence or absence of the starter as part of the fitting is the best indication.

5 Likes