Flu shots ...................That time of year again

EXCELLENT point! I have been covered by the Aus Govt program for free flu shots every year since 2012. Although I have endured the occasional COLD since then, I have never suffered from the FLU in that time.
Most people do not know the difference; please check out this reputable website:
https://www.capitalchemist.com.au/articles.aspx?title=Common-sense-for-the-common-cold.-Tips-to-stay-healthy-during-winter

5 Likes

Er, no. The Flu is NOT the same as a cold.

6 Likes

Theres no money in a cure. Theres billions upon billions to be made from band aiding people. You cant blame the pharmas for wanting to make billions and of course run the show, thats reality, thats big business. Its down to people to realize no ones looking after you. Profit is king, you are just another number
 Even politicians and their kids are in the same boat as us. Even Pharma employees and kids are in the same boat.
If that ever hits home then you might discover how to really look after yourself for peanuts and with stuff that cant be patented. Thats if you really give a s
t about yourself and spend time reading between the lines

What, in your view, would have been cured if there was not more money in not curing it?

6 Likes

Modern medicine is all about destroying your immune system slowly so you will be a cash machine in the future. If you havent figured out that you are just another number then you have been in a coma.
Its fair enough though isnt it, business is business ayy

Would you be so kind as to post some credible citations to support your opinion?

9 Likes

How is that done? Who does it? How do you know tis?

7 Likes

Yes there is and there are many examples (polio, small pox etc) where big pharma has cures to the disease.

There is also a lot of research (this is one example) trying to find the panacea flu vaccination which would remove flus world wide, but the main challenge is that the flu reproduces/multiplies very quickly and changes with each new evolution. Finding a vaccination that potentially covers all iterations of future flu strains is proving to be challenging.

8 Likes

All i am saying is if you have any spare money put it into the large pharma companies as you will need the return on it to pay for all your medical bills as you get older (-:
If you lucky you might live to enjoy some of the return that doesnt go on scripts

Another very general smear. The Choice Community has enough to be concerned about with the allegations of mistreatment of consumers that have data and evidence to support them without wild claims where no evidence is provided.

Please reconsider making such claims in future, even if you firmly believe it and are well intentioned it doesn’t help.

7 Likes

Pharmaceuticals are just one small part of the cost of a serious illness.

If you had a choice between living a lesser life with ongoing treatment, with the risk of dying from a preventable medical condition,
or paying upfront once in a life time or annually to avoid the personal pain, loss, discomfort and high costs of treatment which option do you choose?

Neither is a perfect choice depending on your preferences.
One choice is to not immunise. Personal views on being vaccinated aside this puts a greater burden on the medical services in the instance a preventable condition occurs and risks a life. It is much worse when a disease such as hooping cough or measles is passed through to any vulnerable community member.

For those who have made the decision to vaccinate it is for the benefit of the whole of the community including to the benefit of those who choose not to vaccinate and those who can not due to age etc.

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/MC14-004203-Immunisation

That choice to vaccinate is worthy of respect, regardless, is it not?

8 Likes

Some interesting perspectives on the psychology behind anti-vaxxers.

7 Likes

No, that wasn’t all you were saying.

All big business is driven by shareholder return, that is a given, but I believe it would be ludicrous to suggest that discovering a cure for ‘one of the big ones’ wouldn’t set up a company and its shareholders for decades to come. I’m sure there are monumental cases of moral and ethical sins in ‘big pharma’, like we could no doubt find in any industry, but my experience working for ‘big pharma’ was that researchers were typically normal people driven by pride in their work and a desire to discover something - whether that be better treatment or a cure 
 many, especially in the area of pharmaceuticals related to cancer, work in notably risky workplace environments to achieve their results.

I like a good conspiracy theory. I don’t believe ‘big pharma’ has any more conspiracy about it, on average, than other ‘big business’, and I still use my ‘methotrexate injection’ drink coasters with pride :wink:

8 Likes

What does it take to be a contrarian who espouses fringe beliefs and consistently denies solid evidence? The basic approach is the reverse of the scientific method where you begin with the data and find explanations that fit best. The contrarian begins by affirming the conclusion they want to reach and then constructs reasons to support it and ways to ignore inconvenient evidence from the opposition, if necessary invoking a conspiracy to account for the solidity of the case against them. The arguments used are always passed around and very well rehearsed. They often include cherry picking and other fallacies and the elevation of the opinions of false experts.

The mechanisms that enable this way of thinking are:

• a willingness to go against the establishment,
  • the emotional appeal of the contrary view,
  • leaders who reinforce what you want to hear and
  • a tribe of true believers around you to provide support.

The tribe might be a cluster of anti-vaxers at Byron or rabid Birthers at a Trump rally, there are plenty of others.

Another interesting characteristic is that the movement is self-healing against defection. A scientist who finds new data and wants to defect will succeed if their data and explanations are sound. You are allowed to change your mind. The contrarian tribe will shun defectors and support those whose faith is strong. A member who is sorely tested but remains true can become a hero. You are not allowed to change your mind. Contrarians push their fingers into ears and sing LA LA LA loudly because apostasy is socially unthinkable.

6 Likes

It certainly highlights the old saying “You just can’t help stupid”.

3 Likes

Im someone way past vaccinating my children and when I was in that position there were only about 4 vaccines administered at the one time, not like the 9 my 6 week old grand daughter received. My query relates to why so many at the one time? And if there are no problems associated with the vaccines why is it so dear/costly for parents to choose to have their child vaccinated with single vaccines, parents who still want their children with “herd immunity” but dont like the idea of having to give their very young babies such a lot of so called “dead” virus’ in one go?

The timing of vaccines is based on careful research, so while it may seem like a lot of vaccines at once, it’s intended to protect kids when they are young and vulnerable.

8 Likes