Fishing Reels : What brand/s do you use . What brand would your next purchase be?

Talking to a friend who owns a very well stocked tackle shop recently . We started to discuss reel brands . He is of the opinion if the reel is not a Shimano , Daiwa , Penn or ABU-Garcia it will not sell as Australian fishermen/women are too " brandcentric"

This opinion is shared by some of my fishing cohorts . I could list the reels I use but that is not the point of the exercise . I do not at the moment have a Shimano reel but their rods are well represented in my collection .

Let us know what reel/s you are using and what your next purchase might be .

3 Likes

Almost all the brands including the ones mentioned are now manufactured in China. Whilst name brands are made to a higher level of quality, the reality is you’re better served buying the much cheaper Chinese brands which are actually made in the same factory. Check this website:https://www.aliexpress.com/
Unless you are big time game fishing for Marlin or Swordfish, where reels costing thousands are required, the Chinese local brands are fine. From a boat I’ve caught Spanish mackerel and tuna and bottom fish such as coral trout and red emperor. With care and maintenance, the reels will last. There is one caveat. Parts are difficult to source unless you use the name brands which are stocked in tackle shops in Australia. That said, I’m sticking to Chinese brands.

1 Like