Fishing Reels : Old school vs New school

Beginnings : Part 1

Can a reel that has been around since the1920’s possibly compete with the modern spinning reel ?

I own 5 Alvey side cast reels .Four BC 50 ( 5 " ) diameter spool and one BC 45 ( 4 1/2 " ) spool. Charles Alvey first manufactured these reels in the 1920’s . A simple turn table assembly allowed the spool to be turned horizontal to the rod . The cast would take place and the reel was returned to a vertical position in relation to the rod to reel any fish in .

My first experiences with Side cast reels as a 12 year old were a disaster . I was of the Maxima Fishing line generation .For me Maxima was just to springy and caused "bird’s nest ’ tangles regularly when used on the side casts . The reel was put to the back of the cupboard . I then started using ABU 7000 overhead reels at around 14 years of age for surf duties . I was lucky I had terrific grand parents (maternal ) that never saw me wanting .

Spinning , or fixed spool reels , were starting to make an impact on the fishing scene , including the surf fishos . I purchased my first Spinning reel .An ABU Cardinal 57 and caught many fish in the surf and off local break waters with it until it gave up the ghost when the oscillation gear came apart whilst playing a large fish . After that I could see no reason to own a spinning reel.

Up until 10 years ago it was all overhead reels , namely a Pen 940 , a Pen Mag tuned 10 and I added an ABU 9000CL 2 speed for heavy surf work to back up my ABU 7000C syncro reel . Apart from servicing and the occasional drag washer change I experienced trouble free fishing . I was unimpressed with spinning reels on the market so I looked at the Alvey sidecasts again .

Learning to use the Alvey Side cast : Part 2 . Will post soon .

3 Likes

I still have and use my Alvey real from when I was about a 12 year old…looking after it through its multi-decade life. Makes me feel old, but still a rusted on faithful reel used regularly. It is amazing what a bit of clean fresh water to clean it thoroughly and vaseline on the shaft does.

And yes, still have the odd bird’s nest that takes patience to resolve.

3 Likes