Fishing Reels : Before you buy new check the second hand market

The purchase of a fishing reel can be very confusing if you have not done some research into what you "really " require . On a recent trip to my local tackle shop I was amazed at the price of some of the reels I was looking at .

Before I write more I must say I am glad to see Okuma Reels back on the market . I used them in the early 2000’s for surf fishing , mainly lure casting , as they had the biggest Spinning reel on the market at the time . Stainless steel gears and sealed bearings made for a strong reel .I eventually sold the 5 of them I owned as I prefer Overhead surfcasters for surf fishing . In Britain they are referred to as a Multiplying Reel , in the USA a Conventional Reel .

The reels I have shown in the picture are some of my collection . All of them ,excepting one , can be picked up quite cheaply on Ebay , Gumtree or Facebook Market Place .

Let’s describe them .Back row from the left is a Penn Mag Tuned 10 . It is a 1990 model and a favourite of mine as a good all rounder . Nice drag and if you watch Ebay can be picked up quite cheaply . Plenty of parts available too . If looking try and buy from the USA . Shipping is much cheaper . A great reel made in the USA and worth a look . No longer made .

The second in from the left is an ABU GARCIA 7000 c syncro Drag reel . This Swedish manufacturer has built a reputation over the years for quality products . My reel is a 1986 model . It is my go to for fishing Port Phillip Bay where long casts are required . Ebay has some real bargains concerning the 7000 . The newer models are made in China or Taiwan . Try and buy a Swedish model . They are very reasonably priced . Plenty of parts and a real work horse . No longer made regularly .

The third reel in is an ABU GARCIA 9000 CL 2 speed surf casting reel . After being spooled by sharks in the surf with the ABU 7000 ( 320 metres of 7kg line ) I stepped up to the 9000 CL . 450 metres of 10 kg line .It is a 1992 model . The 2 speed automatic gearing in the reel makes it a real winner when you get serious in the surf . Casting this reel can be a harder learning curve than the Penn Mag or ABU 7000 but stick with it . It has a really fast retrieve and when I fish off the Break Water at Williamstown allows me to to retrieve fast enough to avoid rocks which would snag my line . Plenty of parts on Ebay . Reels can be purchased very reasonably . No longer made .( Worse luck )

Front row reel on the left . My favourite spinning reel . The Fin Nor Ahab series . Mine is up for a line respool hence no line . This reel came in four IGFA classes 8lb 12lb 16lb 20lb . IGFA = International Game Fishing Association . I have two reels . An 8lb shown here and a 12lb class reel . A reel made in the USA that can hold its own with many newer reels . Weighs in at 510gm (The Fin Nor 8 ) so some fishos think it is a heavy reel . Superlative drag system , quick change spool and excellent casting distance makes this a reel highly desirable .
. Unfortunately they ceased being made 15 years ago but were so good they often sell for $900 plus on Ebay second hand . They are often much cheaper than that . I have purchased them as new for $150 . Parts are plentiful .

Second reel from the left front row . A Mitchell A300 spinning reel . This French manufactured reel fights above its weight division . It is 25 years old and still as smooth to use in both drag and winding as the day I purchased it . I have caught some big fish on this little reel and is still one of my favourites to use . A typical quirky French design it has one of the most unusual gearing systems I have seen on a reel . No bearings like some of the modern day " bearing factory reels " you see advertised . The reel is completely gasketed against salt water intrusion and to lubricate it has water tight ports . Very well thought out design . Not seen much on the second had market but the odd one pops up on Ebay . No longer made .

What do you look for when you see a reel on Ebay . Firstly zoom in to check the general condition of the reel . Corrosion and excessive dents or scratches should be a no go . Check any screws that are clearly visible . If the ends are burred give it a miss . If you cannot buy a reel from an Australian seller look to the USA . Shipping rates are very reasonable and I have never had a seller from the US try and sell me a dud reel . I cannot say the same for some other countries .

Hope this helps readers save some money . New reels are great but some of the reels I would buy are now up around $1500 plus . I just can’t see the value in them . There are some bargains out there pre owned . Just take time to look for them .

4 Likes