Financial decisions regarding Superannuation made when suffering serious psychological impairment

Hello everyone,

I am reaching out to this community in search of support, guidance, and insights regarding a deeply challenging situation I have been facing. I am particularly interested in connecting with individuals who have encountered similar circumstances or possess knowledge in this area.

In 2011, I was medically retired from the NSW police force due to chronic PTSD, major depressive disorder, and general anxiety disorder. As outlined in the comprehensive psychiatric report submitted with this letter, my psychiatrist highlighted the severe impairment (44%), I was experiencing in areas such as concentration, persistence, and pace. Moreover, the report emphasized my significant distrust of others, a symptom directly associated with my PTSD condition. In this vulnerable state, I was tasked with making critical financial decisions regarding my Superannuation, which was an overwhelming and distressing experience for me.

At the time, my mental health issues severely compromised my ability to make sound judgments and fully comprehend the implications of my decisions. I was also taking large doses of prescribed sedative medications. Regrettably, I impulsively chose to withdraw all funds from my Superannuation account, driven by panic and a distorted perception of survival needs. I only years later realized that this decision had long-term detrimental consequences, including a significant tax burden and the loss of entitlement to a pension under the defined benefit scheme.

In my pursuit of rectifying this situation, I have contacted various institutions and authorities, including the Superannuation fund, the Australian Taxation Office, and several relevant governmental bodies. Unfortunately, my pleas for assistance and reconsideration have thus far been met with rejection. While I understand the challenges posed by the passage of time, I firmly believe that the circumstances surrounding my mental impairment and subsequent financial decisions still warrant careful reconsideration.

It was only in 2018, with an improved state of mind, did I seek financial assistance. It was then that I was informed by a financial adviser about the tremendous mistake I had made, considering my SASS membership entitled me to the Defined Benefit Scheme pension. The adviser expressed astonishment, stating, “who on Earth told you to do that?” It was then I realised the gravity of my earlier decision.

I firmly believe that there was negligence in entrusting and allowing me to make crucial financial arrangements and decisions while I was severely mentally unwell. This is despite those entrusted with my funds having that knowledge.

Throughout my journey, I have come to realize that the financial decisions I made during periods of severe psychological impairment have had a profound and long-lasting impact on my financial well-being. These decisions have left me significantly disadvantaged compared to someone of sound mind who would have been discharged after suffering a total permanent disability.

If I had been treated properly from the outset, the SASS Trustee should have placed my termination payments into an approved deposit fund until such time that I was deemed to be well enough and received proper financial advice.

My latest financial adviser strongly believes that I had been treated unfairly and discriminatory as a disabled person, from the outset and that I had grounds to request the Australian Taxation Office Commissioner to exercise their special power (allowed under exceptional circumstances) to roll back my funds into SASS and reinstate my membership. Furthermore, I was informed that I could have been entitled to deposit each lump sum into Super without any contribution cap limit.

SASS declined to assist, claiming they acted in accordance with legislation and that SASS is a closed scheme not open to new members. Letters to the ATO, Treasurer, and others have all resulted in rejected help.

I have been tirelessly advocating for the reinstatement of my Superannuation membership into SASS. This fight for justice and fairness has been an arduous journey, filled with numerous setbacks and rejections. I firmly believe that the decisions made during my severe psychological impairment should not have been allowed, and I am determined to explore all possible avenues to rectify this injustice.

I am planning to lodge a tax ruling applocation with the ATO Commissioner to seek they use their special legislated powers to direct a rollback of my Super funds back into SASS. And also seeking to have my lump sum payments allowed to be deposited as well. The ATO reply to my previous letter seemed to be applying current legislation to the 2011 period. But I have been holding off until I seek further advice, information or guidance. I have been trying to find a politician to advocate for me with no success so far.

In sharing my story and seeking your support and insights, I hope to connect with others who have faced similar challenges or possess knowledge of relevant legal precedents, regulations, or resources. Have any of you encountered a similar situation, either personally or through supporting others? Are there individuals who have successfully navigated the process of reinstating their Superannuation membership despite the scheme being closed? I would greatly appreciate any advice, experiences, or suggestions that can help navigate this complex landscape.

Warm regards.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Aussie.

There seem to be all sorts of issues in your case. I am not sure that this is a forum to help with specific legal advice, or financial advice. That is the domain of licenced practitioners.

However, maybe someone here has some experience in dealing with an issue similar to yours and could help. And I think that is what you are seeking. Let’s see.

6 Likes

Hi @Aussie, welcome to the community.

Have you contacted the

https://www.afca.org.au/make-a-complaint/superannuation

From the information you have provided, it is assumed the application for release of the superannuation funds was lawful at the time and appropriate processes for its release were followed. It appears that your financial advisor’s view is you shouldn’t have asked for its release as it wasn’t in your financial interest and is looking for ways to see if it can be reversed.

The challenge you will face is who knew what at the time and whether the decision should not have been made for a reason which the superannuation fund should have been fully aware (in other words, the super fund somehow made a mistake to release the funds) . While in hindsight the decision may not be in your best long-term financial interests, your best long term financial interests could be seen as being only one factor to consider as there, as you have indicated, were other things which also needed to be considered as part of the decision.

Good luck with your pursuit but seems you may have exhausted many options which may be available to you.

6 Likes

Thank you. Yes, I did contact AFCA, but their reply was that they could not help as SASS was not registered with them as a member.

Thanks for your suggestions and comments.

2 Likes

I hope this helps in some small ways.

I understand why you’ve reached out. I’m sure I’m not the only person who can relate to your story. Feeling that parents, school, mentors, programs, services and work-life did not prepare us for the financial hurdles via some sort of financial-life-education and support services. Then experience and feel the injustice of unfair financial situations, scams, negative experiences with lack of incompetent services or bodies who claim they have no power to help etc.

Thank you for the contribution you made to the community via being a police member it was and still is a sacrifice. This is how the Government thanks you for your sacrifices and contributions to society?!

Thank you for your courage to risk disclosing PTSD, depression anxiety when some people in our society do stigma, ignorance and lacking consideration for treating others the way they would want to be treated. As, talking about issues hopefully helps normalize, educate and reduce stigma.

Thank you for your courage to disclose that you were a police member as that could also open you up for attack by ignorant people or people hurt by some police - not all.

I can relate in a few ways to what u shared.

Have you thought or tried to create a petition online for people to sign/click, I think one might be called: www. change .org .au? Tell your story, include an image to grab attention for your petition, get a signed petition, take action. This could be one petition to help you and/or another petition to help all emergency services workers (and armed forces). Surely you will gain their signatures plus their loved ones will sign, the word will spread.

Who were initially responsible,…?

Don’t the Government have a responsibility that it’s common knowledge that

1. to get into the police force has minimal test passing standards
  2. employment in the emergency services and armed forces, is most likely causing PTSD, depression and anxieties on most shifts (especially if stationed in eg the city metro areas)…? It seems that the police employment counselling failed to support you, not only emotionally but, also financially re failure to refer u to support services including financial assistance / support service(s)…? This is how the Government repays our emergency services sacrifice and contributions?!

This reminds me a bit of the film based upon a true story with US footballers brain injuries retiring with hell symptoms and death. Actor Will Smith cast as the Dr who discovered, diagnosed and advised.

Why isn’t the Gov providing all emergency services employees with support for a transitional way(s) to retire better and not just end up in the medical system, already over-burdened and then more pressure on ambulance drivers and hospital staff? Sometimes police or fire fighters are the first on the scene before ambulance.

Isn’t the GP and/or Psychiatrist responsible for prescribing medication causing you to be in some ways worse so that you were not of sound mind to make “sound judgements” in your words…?

Some Community Health Centres have free Financial Counselling by a highly qualified professional who also might be able to support and assist you research.

Don’t get your hopes up here but, in Victoria, there are free community legal services but, they seem at capacity, only helping matters re infringement fines, tenancy issues where the person is at risk of homeless. However, the free community legal centres MIGHT be able to make some suggestions.

The Vic Legal Aid VLA has free advice via ph and chat…one told me VLA can help, the other concluded VLA can’t help me but, gave suggestions via email links.

I contacted two churches who have a free Financial Coach Mentor Program run by volunteers. If NSW doesn’t have that, perhaps you might like to request it starts up. Then they might give you support to help assist you to research this challenging journey you’re on.

The Ombudsman told me they have no power, sigh. I’ve had many diverse life experiences where I’ve gone to get help and that failed me.

If, you don’t already, friendly reminder apply for NDIS. NDIS Advocates, there are more than one type of advocacy service.

I hope I have helped in some small way.

Yes I agree that PTSD, anxiety, depression, stress, fears, confusion, brain fog, sleep deprivation, pressures can all get in the way of thinking straight to make the best decision at the time while lacking supports. The Melbourne Magistrates’ Court considers all that and sometimes grants/allows for police ticket infringement fines to be waived under special consideration/circumstances.

The Human Rights Commission re the Disability Act. Perhaps, try to get a free lawyer or pay a private lawyer?

Is this a case of neglect…definition of neglect has four areas? To prevent a person with disability having access to their disability needs. Aren’t your disability needs including the superannuation…you superannuation to live off to pay for everything including your Psychiatrist bill (Medicare or health insurance) gaps etc.

You were injured at work cos you have diagnosed PTSD etc. Does that entitle you to a pay out for a disability claim from your superannuation…but, you no longer have it now but, you had it at the time of having PTSD…if a GP or Psychiatrist can state a date before your super stopped. There might be a few years that you can still put in a claim for

It’s not easy to share one’s story when people don’t understand, don’t listen, think they do, then dish out advice with pride, treating others like they are dumb, when one has already tried this or that or, already discovered one can’t go down that avenue cos of something and the person was not listening. Sometimes we just need another human being to acknowledge us, give a bit of sympathy and encourage us. I believe in you that “you’ve got this!”. The angels are cheering you on! It took courage, strength and capabilities for you to type all that journey so far and so, I believe you have it in you to not given in but, keep up the “good fight”. Please do it for yourself and all the others out there who are in similar situations. Good luck. You can do it!

(I was sick of being let down by every system and just felt that at the end of the day, my main or only support was/is my spiritual faith, God. So, I searched on the net something like “Free Christian healing PTSD”. I was skeptical. I thought if, I’m skeptical then I have sabotaged it if, this could possibly work so, I need to decide if, I give this a chance by doing this properly with faith/belief. I prayed out loud to Jesus telling Jesus ALL the Complex Post Traumatic Disorders CPTSD, anxieties, fears I could think of from birth onwards, while doing knee tapping therapy. I had never head of knee tapping therapy, hence my skepticism. Not long after, I noticed that the obvious symptoms of road traffic related PTSD had gone! Praise God! I thought I would suffer those symptoms for life. Please note I refuse to take medications for anything and that also means that I know it’s God not medications. One thing I do is try not to label myself with negativity and try not to say “my…” “my PTSD, my depression, my injuries, my pain, my disabilities…” I say “the PTSD, the depression, the injuries, the pain” because I told myself that these things do not belong, they are not a part of who I am, my true self, my true identity, which is in Jesus Christ. The negatives need to go, be rebuked, they are sometimes lies from the devil and believe God can heal anything. When I run out of energy physically, emotionally, mentally I pray asking for God’s strength for a good cause.) Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know that this doesn’t help you personally but I often prefer to look at it in policy terms, and that may be something that Choice could more readily engage with.

Why is it even legal to do this?

Almost no one should be allowed to do this.

etc.

I believe that the present government has made noises about tightening this up but whether that has translated into action I don’t know.

A lightweight policy change would be to continue to allow such withdrawals but to require a withdrawal request to be signed off by a qualified individual (such as a licensed financial adviser).

In terms of legal advice … maybe your only option is to find someone who will take this on pro bono.

I thought the original poster was a member of a defined benefit super scheme. There is nothing to actually withdraw funds from. There is usually a payout if one leaves the scheme, how much being how long one was in the scheme, and a pension paid if reaching the retirement age requirements.

It is not like the accumulation funds that the majority of us are in.

1 Like

I contributed a percentage of my salary per fortnight into SASS. They are converted into something like accumulation points that then calculates your final payout or pension. A portion is my contribution and the other was the benefit. If I had remained in the scheme on medical retirement, I was deemed total permanent incapacity so would have been entitled to a pension before my retirement age with the defined benefit scheme. But as I withdrew my funds, I was paid out my contributions as well as the additional benefit cover. Minus tax.
Yes, a different system to standard Super. I did get a yearly statement outlining my contributions to the scheme before medical retirement

Thanks for your support. I have approached various agencies seeking help and advice. Free legal advice at the community centres are very restricted and do not cover complex areas of law such as Superannuation matters unfortunately.

I don’t qualify for any disability support. My payout means I exceed assets threshold for support, albeit it needing to last my lifetime. I was medically discharged in my early 40’s.

I was paid lump sum disability compensation (whole person impairment, pain and suffering and Work Injury Damages settlement). If still in the scheme and if I had been led with the right support and financial advice, those amounts would have been deposited into SASS as they are exempted from contribution cap limits (i found this out too late).

Yes medication I was on (including tranquilizer category) severely clouded my judgement as well.

Thanks for your comments.

"I believe that the present government has made noises about tightening this up but whether that has translated into action I don’t know.

A lightweight policy change would be to continue to allow such withdrawals but to require a withdrawal request to be signed off by a qualified individual (such as a licensed financial adviser).

In terms of legal advice … maybe your only option is to find someone who will take this on pro bono."

Thanks. Would be good to see policy change. I have an ex army friend who was medically discharged and he had mandatory financial advice. Unlike the NSW State Police system. He subsequently is on a substantial lifelong pension (their pension is miles ahead in benefits etc) and protected from brash financial decisions, clouded by mental illness, by being restricted to his fortnightly/monthly payments.

1 Like

Please do petitions, people power, “grass roots”. You’ve come a long way. I don’t like Psychiatrist ruining people’s lives! I hope you can now problem solve brain storm ideas of options, perhaps start your life over a new, apply for some casual work or paid apprenticeship or part time or full time work with our without declaring disability. Free TAFE with job placement. Friendly reminder, or if you didn’t know: Disability Act states you don’t have to declare disability. After being offered a job - then during the job you can state I need this or that to help me to do this role. Some jobs are for people with disabilities. Forms are not always easy to understand and it’s too easy to accidentally tick the wrong box. I was still able to be approved for DSP and maybe your property is in a different bracket, worth more. Not a nice option but, perhaps sell buy something worth less. Perhaps rent out a room to a Homestay student for income. Airbnb a room however, ensure instant booking is turned OFF or risk people on drugs with a pet. NDIS is extremely stressful, time consuming and a let down, it’s like technology, nice when it does work.